What's new

What do you do with your NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jerryk

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I was curious to see what people do with their NAS unit?

Backup of existing computers?

Media streaming?

Main large data store?

Etc?

I have a synology DS210j. I use it as a web development server, media storage for all my dvds (I have 2 small children that don't mix with physical media) and family photos, as well as a small-time document server to store things like bank statements, tax returns, etc...

Multiple NAS boxes

I have several NAS boxes.
NAS-1(Synology DS209) - Used as my primary NAS for storing photos, documents, spreadsheets, large project files(ZIP), and backing up two laptops & two netbooks. I'm considering using the mail server functionality sometime soon, but it hasn't happened yet.
NAS-2(ReadyNAS-Duo) - Used this for storing some archive documents.
NAS-3(Intel SS4200-E) - I has planned to use this to stream video to various set top boxes, but I never got around to setting everything up. It's currently used as a backup target for both the Synology DS209 and the ReadyNAS-Duo.

I also support a DS210j for my inlaws who use it for storing photos and backing up two computers.

Hope this helps for whatever your investigating.

I have two older Synology Boxes at my house

DS-207 - I use this to backup two computers, store multimedia stuff - archive of my digital portfolio
CS-407e - as a Internet backup for my office.

Though, while the DS-207 has proven well for me - it's showing it's age with my larger collection of multimedia files. I'll probably end up getting a DS-410 in the future.

At my office - I've setup a DS-408 to do file sharing with my co-workers.

Hope this helps you in your research.

Last edited:
Backup of existing computers? YES

Media streaming? YES
Movie, music, family video

Main large data store? YES
be able to access my files from any Pcs, Laptops with password protection.