What's new

What does this 86U log entry mean?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
A guest wireless client is visiting with a work laptop. Can anyone tell me what these 86U log entries indicate:

Code:
Jun 12 08:07:09 dnsmasq-dhcp[781]: Ignoring domain erg.com for DHCP host name Cha-****

OE

Last edited:
It means that device is configured with the erg.com domain, so it tries to request it when obtaining a lease. Since that domain doesn't belong to your router, it's ignoring it.

This is probably a (poorly configured) business laptop that's configured for the domain used by their company (and which ignores best practices by using a public TLD on a private network).

It means that device is configured with the erg.com domain, so it tries to request it when obtaining a lease. Since that domain doesn't belong to your router, it's ignoring it.

This is probably a (poorly configured) business laptop that's configured for the domain used by their company (and which ignores best practices by using a public TLD on a private network).

Informative, thanks!

OE

@OzarkEdge - For years, I had the same log entry, a few times per day, while my own business laptop was connected to the router.

I already had a reserved/manually assigned IP within the DHCP range for my laptop, but I was finally able to stop that log entry by also adding a Hostname, which is an optional field.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
@FernandoF, that is valuable to know. Thank you.

My work laptop has always triggered this on my relatively new AX86U and I would never had known if this thread wasn’t revived. Very good to know.