What's new

What does Tx/Rx Rate in the client list mean?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rahman

New Around Here
1617594450582.png

This is what I usually see from my phone when I am connected to the wifi. Since I am using Android I can also see the actual wifi bandwidth I am using thanks to a network monitor app- and I am nowhere close to 1200 Mbps! At the time this screenshot was taken my phone was using 15Kbps. When I started watching a youtube video the Rx rate was flipflopping between 6 and 1201 Mbps when the actual use was 2.4Mbps.

(Also it says my google home mini is using over 300Mbps constantly- which would equal 98.5TB/month)

When you hover it, it says "transmission rates of your wireless device".

So Tx/Rx Rate clearly does not mean "the current amount of data the device is using", so what does it mean exactly?

Last edited:
This is your connection link speed, half-duplex. Data throughput is about 60% of the link speed. If you have 500Mbps ISP you'll need at least 2-stream AC clients connected at 867Mbps link speeds for a chance to see 500Mbps on your wireless devices, sometimes. Rx 6Mbps indicates your Galaxy is in power save mode. Your Google Home is not using 300Mbps all the time, but it's connected at 300Mbps link speed to your router. It may also be idle most of the time, same as your Galaxy.

WELL, that's kinda useless info most of the time!
How does one see the true current bandwidth of all clients... now THAT is USEFUL info 99% of the time!

How does one see the true current bandwidth of all clients...

You can actually see and log current traffic to clients with some routers. RT-AC68U and variants with Asuswrt-Merlin can do per IP monitoring with ~250Mbps ISP (incompatible with hardware acceleration). This is something not available anymore with the new HND routers.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!