What's new

What firmware for me?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joms

Occasional Visitor
My main priority is QOS for netflix.

I want my appletv to have first priority.

Then i want to assign the netflix port the next highest priority since we also use netflix on our ipad or comp.

after which priority is for web browsing then online gaming.

With this in mind, what firmware woud be best for me?

Please note that i am from the Philippines and we only have around 2.5Mbps download speed. (Most of the time it is slower).

Im still using original .220 firmware.

Thanks

My main priority is QOS for netflix.

I want my appletv to have first priority.

Then i want to assign the netflix port the next highest priority since we also use netflix on our ipad or comp.

after which priority is for web browsing then online gaming.

With this in mind, what firmware woud be best for me?

Please note that i am from the Philippines and we only have around 2.5Mbps download speed. (Most of the time it is slower).

Im still using original .220 firmware.

Thanks

Netflix states you need at least a 3 Mbps download to stream HD content. So you may have issues in that area. Install .276 firmware and see what happens. If not happy go with Merlin's builds.

So ddwrt is the beat firmware for my qos needs?

How do i setup QOS for my netflix as stated on my first post?

In general I recommend Tomato to anyone looking for a good QoS implementation.

DD-WRT should only be used if you need any of its (often) esoteric features, as it's not always easy to manage, and has no clear release schedule, meaning all builds released in the past 4+ years are betas, with none labelled as "mostly stable".

I see. So tomato has better Qos controls. Thanks very much.

On a side note, can someone with netflix teach me how to incorporate netflix ports to Qos? what ports does netflix use so I can give them top priority?

Thanks

IMO I don't even know why QOS matters. I have 23 wireless devices connected to my RT-N66U and 6 at a time game online and stream 1080P video with no issues. And all I have is a 35 Mbps download speed. So no need for QOS here.

As someone with 8mbps download and 300kbps upload I can assure you that QoS is essential for me. I live in an area where I have the best available connection so I've no chance to upgrade.

I work from home most of the time using my mobile via a Femtocell unit or making calls from my laptop using MS Lync voice. I also use web conferencing for meetings. At the same time I have 3 kids addicted to YouTube, Facebook and online gaming. Without QoS I would be dead in the water as my voice and web conferences just stop due to lack of bandwidth.

I've found the QoS in the Asus stock firmware (and also in RMerlin's releases) is OK now that i refined the settings, but I still get some minor dropouts with voice calls. I understand that true QoS requires the ISP to participate so I know it will always be a compromise.

I might give Tomato a try to see how I get on.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!