What's new

What happened to my RT-AX58U? A saga of failure, an RMA and reinvention as a refurbished router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JWoo

After experiencing many spontaneous restarts on my RT-AX58U that no one else was experiencing, I sent it back to Asus as an RMA. I did notice some memory errors (JFFS as an example) in the Asus Merlin log files which also indicated a HW problem was behind all my restarts. Asus has had the router in their possession since Feb 5 and advised on Feb 9 that it was not repairable (presumably because the main board is layered). Asus has not shipped a replacement yet but maybe this week.

For anyone about to RMA their router, Asus has many rules about shipping a router to them. Do not include the power supply unless it is contributing to the problem you are experiencing as you won't get it back if it is not part of your problem. Do not send the original box as you won't get it back. The router must be sent in a box, if it is sent in an envelope they won't try to repair it. Asus does provide Fedex based shipping for a fixed $15 in the US which I used and would recommend. If you have not registered your router on the Asus web site, I would recommend you do it. Asus does not have a well working chat function and if you try to call you will be on the phone a very long time. I have used Facebook messenger and that has worked pretty OK for communications with Asus. I would also recommend you put a standard Asus firmware on your router and reset it (no password) prior to sending it to Asus. I hope you don't have to RMA your router, but if you do I hope these tips are helpful.

Looking forward to getting the RT-AX58U back so I can load up 386.2 and get back into the Asus Merlin way!

Using Facebook messenger is not an option worth considering. I don't deal with hardware returns though either. For my personal stuff, I will either keep using it in any capacity it has or junk it. Using anything other than a telephone/cell and/or email is not my idea of support. Ever.

Do not include the power supply unless it is contributing to the problem you are experiencing as you won't get it back i
My experience when I went through four RMAs with ASUS is that they sent me a power supply back with each returned router. I now have four spare power supplies which no one is interested in buying.

What problems did Asus find with your 4 routers? If you got back refurbs, how was the quality of their refurbs?

I don't touch Facebook with a ten foot pole for RMA or anything related when contacting any company regarding any issues with a product.

Best practise, is to contact a company directly via email that can be found on their website. Every website has a "Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. Some sites have online form for RMA and some sites provide an email.

But never use Facebook or ANY social media to contact a company for any issues. Simply because they are rarely monitored and most of the time, you will be asked to contact them via xyz@abc.com email or fill out online form.

Asus has a comprehensive website if you need to contact them for any issues. https://www.asus.com/us/support/callus

I prefer email vs making a phone call, because I have a record of emails that I sent, a proof of correspondence.

I would still send a power supply. Simply because I don't know if power supply is faulty, since I have no way or proper testing it. At the end of the day, IF the power supply is faulty, a Company hopefully will recycle it.

My experience when I went through four RMAs with ASUS is that they sent me a power supply back with each returned router. I now have four spare power supplies which no one is interested in buying.
You piqued my curiosity to see if they include a new power supply. When I get the router back, I will post if they provided a new power supply. :)

What problems did Asus find with your 4 routers? If you got back refurbs, how was the quality of their refurbs?
Twice they sent me other people's problem routers because their attitude is that most returned routers aren't defective but the owners are stupid so they just wipe the fingerprints off, factory reset and then send them on to someone else. The third router they returned was mine and they said they couldn't find any problem but what do you expect after just a few minutes of testing. Finally I got them to send me a new router manufactured in 2019 as the 2018 routers were the ones subject to problems.

Twice they sent me other people's problem routers because their attitude is that most returned routers aren't defective but the owners are stupid so they just wipe the fingerprints off, factory reset and then send them on to someone else. The third router they returned was mine and they said they couldn't find any problem but what do you expect after just a few minutes of testing. Finally I got them to send me a new router manufactured in 2019 as the 2018 routers were the ones subject to problems.
Sorry for the hassle you experienced, and thanks for sharing your experiences. This is my fear too, that I get a crappy "refurb" which is a router someone else returned for some reason.

Sorry for the hassle you experienced, and thanks for sharing your experiences. This is my fear too, that I get a crappy "refurb" which is a router someone else returned for some reason.

After I finally got a good router and once I got on Merlin V384.18 everything was fine. The AC86 is a great router when it is good.

Hopefully ASUS learned their lesson and don't assume their customers are all idiots. Because they didn't pay attention when they were having issues many irate customers myself included posted negative reviews on Amazon and other sites.

Good luck with your RMA.

Thanks man! In the case of my router, based on log files, I believe the Macronix flash memory is faulty. Will post when they send me a router back.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!