What's new

What is the Best ADSL-Modem-Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well...your first goal is to get one that will be compatible with your ISP. Many will have specialized firmware particular to an ISP....although if you're familiar with them you can get most of them working with any ISP.

I'm very fond of the Netopia line (used to be Cayman...has since bought out...and bought out again...under Motorola now)
http://www.netopia.com/equipment/products/internet_access.html
The 3300 and 7000 series in the above link are rock solid.

stevech: You are right

I suggest not buying a combiniation modem/router. Use two devices. Try to get your ISP to provide and maintain the modem.

My goal is to reduce the number of appliances running when I am away from the office.

It's better to have the modem separate and owned by the ISP, not you. That way, there's no finger pointing.

The WiFi router, if separate, can easily be updated once a year or so as people often do, without the substantial hassle of re-provisioning the modem with your ISP.

I actually prefer owning my own modem....when it comes to cable ISPs it makes a difference.

But with the phone company (DSL)...you already do own it..you bought it with the setup fees when your account got setup...if it blows up...YOU pay for a new one.

Some ISPs replace it for free, others charge you. I've seen the same ISP do both many times.

FYI, there is no "provisioning" with DSL modems...that's what you do with some cable ISPs. With DSL modems, it's a simple as logging into the web admin, you enter your PPPoE username and password....done! Phew...a whole 30 seconds went by!

When you step up into the good business grade models such as I linked...they are rock stable, fast, perform hand and foot over typical home grade units...they last a long time. I can't see a desire to replace one on a yearly basis...even if you could get them for free like I do. :)

Comcast, granted it's not DSL, charges $7 per month modem rent. It would be crazy to have them provide it given how comparatively little a modem costs to purchase.