What's new

What is the best most expensive router that merlin firmware supports.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ViRUS2k

Regular Contributor
Looking for the best fastest most feature rich router that money can buy that Merlin supports or will support in the future

Currently i have a RT AC88U but i feel as though the AX88U is but a small upgrade in comparison ??? any suggestions ???

There is nothing better than the RT-AX88U right now that RMerlin supports. :)

Not a small upgrade. Particularly if you are using a lot of scripts, and/or multiple VPNs simultaneously, and/or have 500Mbps to Gbps symmetrical ISP speeds with many clients (even if those clients are still AC based).

well i do have 1gbps connection and the rt88u maxes this out though i havent tried mult connections but the cpu core speeds on the router when maxed out hit 85-90% cpu but on one of the cores only.......

not sure what to do to be honest its more of a indulgence though is there any website or web page that can do cross comparison between the RT88U and AX88U ?

I wonder why this router is not supported by merlin its a lot more expensive and looks more beefed up :

AsusGT-AX11000

If your network is working as it should, ignore the urge to indulge. :)

While the newer hardware and underlying (closed source) code are better on the newer routers, there is always something better coming down the road. Wait until you need to buy a new set up instead of just spending where you don't lack.

guess i cant wait then ;)

thanks for the help.... and your right there is more high end routers out there from other manufacture though its merlins firmware i like above all else so its a no brainer.

Looking for the best fastest most feature rich router that money can buy that Merlin supports or will support in the future

Currently i have a RT AC88U but i feel as though the AX88U is but a small upgrade in comparison ??? any suggestions ???

I wonder why this router is not supported by merlin its a lot more expensive and looks more beefed up :

AsusGT-AX11000
I always have to wonder why people want to approach this from this direction: if you know you want to use the Merlin firmware, why are you asking for support for unsupported models, rather than looking at the list of supported models before making a purchase? The reasons behind why some of the newer/faster/shinier GT models are not supported is laid out at the top of this FAQ:
Short answer: pick a supported model FIRST.

Last edited:

TL;DR:
AX88U has 64 bit quad core processor, huge boost for VPN and add-ons, but if you only use base built-in features, then won't matter.

Longer:
Don't let the "model" number fool you (or the prices for that matter). Going from AC88U to AX88U will be a HUGE jump in Merlin Add-on performance (maybe from wireless perspective not much). It all depends on your usage. If you use VPN, or nice add-ons like Suricata, CakeQoS and other cool features that Merlin firmware has opened up for rest of us, then the jump to AX88U will be a HUGE upgrade, on the other hand, if you only use stock features of wireless and use built-in features (except for VPN), AX88U is as you stated not really an upgrade.

WiFI 6E is around the corner, might as well wait for those. UNless a AX86U drops to $150 on black Friday. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!