What is the better purchase between the AX88U and AX86U?

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

richardeid

Regular Contributor
It seems like a few of the bigger retailers are OOS on the AX88U. Is this signaling anything beyond just a restocking issue? I'm a happy AC-88U user and my girlfriend needs a new router so I'd like to do the direct upgrade from 88 to 88. Amazon's last price on it was $299 but Newegg has it in-stock for $349. I won't pay that much if I know it'll be back in stock at Amazon. Anyone have any ideas?

ATLga

It seems like a few of the bigger retailers are OOS on the AX88U. Is this signaling anything beyond just a restocking issue? I'm a happy AC-88U user and my girlfriend needs a new router so I'd like to do the direct upgrade from 88 to 88. Amazon's last price on it was $299 but Newegg has it in-stock for $349. I won't pay that much if I know it'll be back in stock at Amazon. Anyone have any ideas?
For what it's worth, it was also $299 at Micro Center up till the 21st. I think that's the last day I saw it at amazon for $299 too. Most likely when it's back in stock at amazon, it'll be $349 again.

Last edited:

Clark Griswald

With the 6E routers now being discussed, I'm hoping wifi 6 routers will get significantly lower in price, since the "Marketing" will let everyone know that wifi 6 is worthless ;)
My sig shows my upgrade path AC88 then to AC86. My thoughts were to upgrade to an AX86 and use AC86 and AC88 as APs, yet after reading Tim's article I will probably stay with only one AP.

Stay Safe Everyone

riroku

Occasional Visitor
Sorry for the bump but I didn't want to make a new thread for this. I was running 3.0.0.4.384.9318 awhile back in December which was great. However, I updated to future releases for and merlin 386.1 - to the current. Some reason my router is blocking a lot of website randomly now and I have no clue why. For example, I can no longer view form.gle links from google doc. I have to disconnect from the internet and use my LTE and the link works fine. I was also recently on the phone with my bank trying to reset my account my password using a temporary ID which would take me to the create password page. However, it would take me to that page then automatically refresh so I couldn't reset my password until I disconnected from my home network and use my hotspot LTE then it worked.

Is there a fix for this or does anyone know why this is happening? I'm also having problem accessing my bank statement PDF. It's just blank white until I disconnect and use LTE. I have turned off AIProtection but I'm still getting blocked on some website randomly

I even did a clean reset and updated to 386.2_6 stock with AIProtection off and it didn't fix the issue at all. Is there some other setting I need to change on this router

L&LD

Part of the Furniture

riroku

Occasional Visitor
You should flash the firmware you want first, then do a full reset to factory defaults afterward. Do not use a saved backup config file to configure the router afterward.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

I actually did. This is with a full reset and factory default. I never use any backup config when I set up my router as I keep it simple. I don't touch any setting except turn on AIProtection and turn off WP. I still can't access forms.glel links and still have issue accessing some website even with fresh reset and factory default using those links. I have done it so many time now that I memorize the steps

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!