What's new

What is the difference between Receive and Transmit rate? Why is my Transmit rate always lower than the Receive?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jusjohn55

Regular Contributor
I have been trying to get a good signal by moving around a bit and when I check the properties of my WiFi it always shows my Transmit rate being lower. What is the difference between the two and how can I make them actually sync up so that one is not higher/lower than the other?

What device are you looking at that is showing you this information?

It is normal for the rates to be different because the client and the access point have different power output, different antenna gain and different receiver sensitivity.

I am using my computer for this info. I go and look at the status/properties of the wifi driver on my PC. The reason is my old computer would have a constant Receive and Transmit rate while this new one does not

The devices will vary their transmit and receive speeds on a moment by moment basis, depending on things like demand, concurrency, etc. I've noticed that some devices will report the maximum possible speed while others report the actual speed at that moment. Either way, don't worry about it. The only thing that matters is what the actual throughput you're getting is.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!