What's new

What router should I buy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

knecke

New Around Here
Hello!

I currently have the old Asus RT-N66U, in a 3 room apartment with thick walls that disturb WiFi connection.

I wanted to get Adguard Home etc for my router and realized how old it was, it seems its not possible to install on old Merlin firmware (?) 380.70

So I think my best option would be to buy a new router with more functions, better WiFi coverage and newer firmware for Adguard Home, and to use my old N66U as an access point in the living room to extend WiFi further.

But I am on a budget, and would look for either second hand routers, or something on a worthy sale. What would you suggest for me?

Thank you

I would buy a separate router and wireless access point that way you will not need to upgrade the whole shebang every time. You only need money to come up with which one needs upgrades. It will save you money in the long run.

If you really want to save money you can use pfsense or Opensense on an old PC, you have laying around for a router. Cost is nothing. Maybe a 2 port NIC. Then buy a wireless AP. This will be way better. You can even add more APs in the future when you find a slow or dead spots. You will have a better network overall.

Last edited:
The RT-AX68U, RT-AX86U, or the GT-AX6000 (in order of good, better, best). Depending on your budget, your local prices, and any sales you have or can wait for.

Any of these routers will offer massive improvements in your network vs. the old Dark Knight.