What's new

What should I look for in Wi-Fi antennas?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nicoletta

Occasional Visitor
My new motherboard comes with built-in wi-fi which is nice, but that means that I no longer use the old usb cable to wi-fi adapter dongle that could sit a little more out in the open.

Having two antennas tucked away around the back of my pc is doing nothing for my signal strength which sits around the minimum according to Windows 10.

What are some good options for some kind of small extension that could move the antennas to a more appropriate location. It would not have to be far, was thinking arond 1m maximum. So do I just get the cheapest thing I can find or are there meaningful differences with what's available? I am considering something like the one pictured below.

image1.jpg

Don't use a cable that's any longer than you need. The cable included with those kits is usually pretty lossy. You might lose more signal in the cable than you gained by elevating the antennas.

Unless the desktop sits on a desktop, internal Wi-Fi isn't that useful a feature unless you're in a strong signal area.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!