What's new

What you should buy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ronorbar

Regular Contributor
What would you buy now for several more years of network support and stability, ROG AX6000 or AX86U Pro?

GT-AX6000. Hands down. No questions asked. Best answer right now possible with (all) the information currently available.

Based on same hardware and actual hardware is not the same thing. The differences are significant.

Based on same hardware and actual hardware is not the same thing. The differences are significant.
Before you and @Tech9 get into your usual matching contest, please be specific. Your comment is too cryptic.

Nothing cryptic about it. In my experience, even when the hardware is identical, it doesn't imply the same level of performance can be had from both (i.e. from different manufacturers). Based on similar hardware is not the same as same hardware and everything else being identical too (RF design, radios, radio amps/cpu, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
@Tech9, @L&LD You two have been on my last nerve for some time now. Your active and passive aggression drive away people new to the forum and annoy many long time contributors.

I appreciate the many contributions both of you have made to SNBForums, but it's coming at too high a price. I want SNBForums to be a place welcome to all who are genuinely seeking help. So I'm giving you both a one week ban to reflect on how you can be better SNBForums participants.

Last edited:
What would you buy now for several more years of network support and stability, ROG AX6000 or AX86U Pro?
Both are some of the best ASUS routers to date. I got 2x AX6000 and connected them together via a wired backhaul AiMesh and am very happy with the performance and low latency. They both have the same updated 2.0 GHz CPU which helps a lot.

The main difference as far as I can see is that the AX6000 has dual 2.5GBPS ports while the AX86U Pro only has one and also the AX86U Pro has just been released so not many people tested it yet while the AX6000 GT has nothing but positive reviews. You can't go wrong either way.

I personally choose the AX86U-Pro due to the product format, as in its physical design, which suits both the footprint and the location of where it will reside. It’s that simple when all the other boxes have been ticked.

What’s your use case? What’s your current Internet speeds, and how many square feet is your home?

Both of the routers you mentioned are well liked here. How well they do in your home for your specific use cases is a very personal thing.

If you have the budget, I’d personally look at setting up cheap, wired APs throughout your home connected to a POE switch via cat6a. The reasoning is that to really get the incremental speed bump from WIFI 5 to 6, you need good SNR values. Ideally, 30+.

My experience with the AX86U is that I only see that bump in performance in the room my router resides in, where I’m wired anyway, and the two rooms next to it. Any farther and I get the equivalent of WIFI 5.

To future proof, I’d get someone out to hard wire your home for cat6a and install APs on the ceilings in rooms, where you’re most likely to use WIFI. This way when WIFI 7 and 8 come out, you can just swap out the APs and switch.

I feel like future WIFI will require closer proximity to APs just like wireless 5G requires more towers than 4G.