What's new

what's the best way to have a network drive mounted to a router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heysoundude

Part of the Furniture
I've a 1TB Seagate drive connected to the USB on my router. I use it for the entware stuff, but I also partitioned it in amtm so that there could be a permanent file repository for network users (partition 2) as well as a place to drop torrented/DL's files for my kodi box (partition 3).
I've never done this before, so what do I need to do to make it "work like I hoped it would" so I don't have to DL movies etc to the 32GB sd card of the kodi and can stream from this drive to it. I basically want to telll my kodi addons to DL to the drive attached to the router, and then stream from there too. Help?

As I recall, you should have an "add source" option in kodi. Just enter the appropriate samba info.

As for the "best" solution..... I'd have to say get a proper NAS enclosure, but if your setup works, then great :)

As I recall, you should have an "add source" option in kodi. Just enter the appropriate samba info.

As for the "best" solution..... I'd have to say get a proper NAS enclosure, but if your setup works, then great :)
It should perform well enough for a simple 1080 DL and stream to local - it's a USB3 that sits and just monitors entware/scripts.
I'm having issues getting my kodi to recognise it, which may indicate SMB config issues at the router, or it may be because xbian's (my raspi4 kodi HTPC) devs seem to be pushing towards v19 even though that's just turned RC. It really shouldn't be this challenging.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!