What's new

What's the verdict on the RT-AX88U vs RT-AX86U vs GT-AXE11000 if I'm buying today

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just thought I would make a comment on the firmware, the router came with version: Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_45375, but there seems to be a newer version on the site, but the auto check feature is saying what's on it, is up to date.
I would hold off upgrading the firmware to see if a new version will be released. Then wait for others to try it.

Haven't set 2.5G up yet ;) just using it with normal gig for right now, will tackle that 2.5G tomorrow, I'll probably need to go out and buy another cat 6 cable unless cat 5e can do 2.5G, does the 86U come with a compatible ethernet cable? right now I am just using my existing cable I had in the setup.

I think Cat5e is good enough... I think the yellow cable Spectrum supplies with that modem is Cat5e... and I think the cable ASUS supplies with that router is Cat5e, sooo... I'd use what you've got.

OE

A quality Cat5e cable is good enough for 2.5GbE connections for less than maximum runs. I'm using a 100' run of Cat5e as wired backhaul for over a year now.

OK, read the replies missed:
1st, Already did the firmware update, no problems found so far, but will be on the lookout for updates.
2nd, I will try the cat 5e cables I have, spectrum never gave me cables since I have my own already. They just gave me the modem. curious though, since I already had their DOCSIS 3.1 modem, the only difference is the 2.5 port vs the 1Gbps port. Are they planning on upping their 1Gbps plan? because a 2.5 port shouldn't matter in the case of 1Gbps. The only thing I found that justified a 2.5 port was DSLReports had info on it about Spectrum over provisioning 1G to1200Mbps. When ever I do a Speedtest though, regardless of router, it never goes above 940Mbps for download speed. (that's on an iMac with a built in 1Gbps port). All my wired devices are 1G except for the Roku(s), and the Sony 4k Blu-ray players (those are 10/100). The Asus routers also do G-Force NOW, so would they be able to detect a NVIDIA Shield TV Pro as a gaming console, when it comes to the gaming features? (just curious, I usually don't use it for gaming, just streaming)

Thanks again, for the help.
EDIT: adding a screenshot to show I got WAN switched over to 2.5G successfully.

Attachments

• Router config with 2.5G active.jpg
    Router config with 2.5G active.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
2nd, I will try the cat 5e cables I have, spectrum never gave me cables since I have my own already. They just gave me the modem. curious though, since I already had their DOCSIS 3.1 modem, the only difference is the 2.5 port vs the 1Gbps port. Are they planning on upping their 1Gbps plan? because a 2.5 port shouldn't matter in the case of 1Gbps. The only thing I found that justified a 2.5 port was DSLReports had info on it about Spectrum over provisioning 1G to1200Mbps.

Spectrum will give you an accessory pack of cables (2 coax, 1 Ethernet, 1 2-way coax splitter), if you ask for it.

Regarding Spectrum speed upgrades... keep breathing:
Charter's high split coming in the "near future." - Charter Spectrum | DSLReports Forums

OE

Hey guys, just posting a quick update. The AX-86U has been in operation a few days now, and everything appears to be stable. I may go back to the regular 1Gbps WAN port though because the 2.5G even though is connected at full speed isn't giving the network any kind of boost from Spectrum. So, might just save it for a LAN port if I ever got a NAS independent of just using a computer with attached storage.

I'm just getting the same upload / download speeds from the 2.5 port as I was getting on the default WAN port.
Also, for anyone who reads this thread wanting to try out the RT-AX86U, amazon has a really good deal on the Zaku edition I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093Z8T7JS/?tag=snbforums-20. It's even a few dollars lower than when I bought it a couple days ago.

You are fortunate, since Power Out for me equals no power for my neighborhood. I have UPS for my router, switch, and seperate larger UPS for my NAS so my intranet stays functioning, until a safe power down is initiated.
Or did you intend to write intranet? ;)
I agree with with the majority of forum members that without RMerlin fw the router is a PASS, and routers with "new" standards are useless without a corresponding client.
You playing with those Christmas lights again?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!