What's new

WhatsApp/Facebook iOS apps not working on WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cauz4concern

New Around Here
Hi.

My broadband setup consists of a Virgin Media Hub 5 in 'modem mode' and an ASUS RT-AX86U performing the router responsibilities. I'm using ASUS stock firmware, which is up-to-date (not beta) as of today, 4th January 2023 (I update the firmware via the ASUS iOS app).

I have been experiencing issues with WhatsApp and Facebook iOS apps (both up-to-date) on my iPhone (iOS 16.2) when connected to WiFi. The issue prevents images/videos from loading (images/videos embedded within WhatsApp messages show a spinney as though trying to load. Facebook shows grey placeholders for images/videos).

When I use the apps while my iPhone is connected to either 3G/4G, I am able to do so without issue. I found that if I installed and enabled a VPN client app (Norton) on my iPhone (while connected to my WiFi network), the apps worked without issue.

I also tried changing the default DNS addresses in both iPhone and router devices to Google DNS, but with no success. The same with CloudFlare. I've also reset the router to factory default, but again, no success.

I performed a factory reset of my Virgin Media Hub 5, leaving it in the default ‘router’ mode. The apps worked without issue on my iPhone while connected to the WiFi network.

Other than the said apps not working, internet connection is stable and works without issue. Speeds are as expected.

I've spoken with ASUS Technical Support who cannot seem to help, nor have they offered any suggestions other than returning the device to the company from whom I purchased it.

Lastly, I had the ASUS RT-AC68U before purchasing the RT-AX86U, and had no issues whatsoever. Also, when I purchased the RT-AX86U in November of this year, everything was fine out-of-the-box. The stated problem has only started to occur over the past 3 weeks (I have updated the firmware in that time, so it might be a firmware issue?).

I come here in the hope that you experienced forum members can help, or offer advice.

Thanks in advance,

What DNS servers are you using on the router?

What DNS servers are you using on the router?
Hi, bbunge.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The router is using the DNS provided by my ISP. I changed the DNS on the router, trying both Google and CloudFlare, but this had no effect.

Have you enabled any safe browsing features in the Asus app? You may want to disable the MAC random function on the phones.

Have you enabled any safe browsing features in the Asus app? You may want to disable the MAC random function on the phones.
Hi, there.

I haven't got any safe browsing features enabled via the ASUS iOS app.

MAC random function? In the case of iPhone, is this the 'Private Wi-Fi Address' option? If so, I have tried enabled/disabled, but the problem persists.

I have been experiencing issues with WhatsApp and Facebook iOS apps (both up-to-date) on my iPhone (iOS 16.2) when connected to WiFi. The issue prevents images/videos from loading (images/videos embedded within WhatsApp messages show a spinney as though trying to load. Facebook shows grey placeholders for images/videos).
For perspective, there are people in this world who wish they could make it so that none of the Meta apps/sites work on their network...they envy you at he moment, so when you figure out what the issue is, please post it so they can replicate it

For perspective, there are people in this world who wish they could make it so that none of the Meta apps/sites work on their network...they envy you at he moment, so when you figure out what the issue is, please post it so they can replicate it
I completely agree with you. I don't particularly care for Facebook on any platform. I was more interested in finding out if the router was faulty since I don't want to pay for something that is broken.

I like your humour. :):p;) Wait... you were kidding, right?

I completely agree with you. I don't particularly care for Facebook on any platform. I was more interested in finding out if the router was faulty since I don't want to pay for something that is broken.

No, he's not kidding, Facebook and WhatsApp are malware.

As is any other 'social networking app', particularly, Google too.

nope, not at all. I'm as serious as a heart attack on this: Meta is as evil as Google, Microsoft and the tax man all rolled together into one entity.

nope, not at all. I'm as serious as a heart attack on this: Meta is as evil as Google, Microsoft and the tax man all rolled together into one entity.
I'm well aware of the ill-intentioned and nefarious practices of these corporations. Clearly, I'm a sheep. :oops:

But... anyway... if I do figure out what the issue is, I won't post it here! ;):p

As is any other 'social networking app', particularly, Google too.
And you are the one who uses Microsoft Edge...

Yes, MS, I still have a lot of control over.

I'm well aware of the ill-intentioned and nefarious practices of these corporations. Clearly, I'm a sheep. :oops:

But... anyway... if I do figure out what the issue is, I won't post it here! ;):p
I'm not convinced that there is something wrong with the router. It may be something you configured by mistake. A factory reset with initialize may be in order... again with a manual minimal configure. Worse case go back to firmware 300438649599, do a reset with initialize and manually configure. Seems like a pain but it might uncover something. Then again it may not.

I'm not convinced that there is something wrong with the router. It may be something you configured by mistake. A factory reset with initialize may be in order... again with a manual minimal configure. Worse case go back to firmware 300438649599, do a reset with initialize and manually configure. Seems like a pain but it might uncover something. Then again it may not.
Thanks for the suggestion, and thanks for taking time to help.

I did try a factory reset before (powering on while holding the WPS button), but that didn’t have an effect on the issue.

I'll try the pin-reset on the back of the device.

Thanks again.

So, I bought another RT-AX86U and the problem no longer exists.

It must have been a faulty device, so is being returned.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!