What's new

When do ASUS routers drop WAN connections?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

theboz

Occasional Visitor
Is there any documentation/guidance that tells the circumstances under which the routers disconnect the WAN port? I’m using an RT-AX3000 which is now connected directly to the internet via the FIOS network. I’m using FreeDNS on the router to mitigate IP changes, but a problem arises for the TiVOs used in the house. Due to my testing router features (mainly VPN) changes have happened several times and it’s a bit of trouble to restore connectivity for them. It would be helpful if I knew when I might cause this and maybe schedule my actions...

The router would NOT normally drop the WAN connection. In fact, it does its best to remain connected, including updating its DHCP lease at the halfway point so as to maintain even the same dynamic IP (if possible). The most likely cause of a WAN disconnect is your ISP and his modem (although most tend to be pretty reliable).

Given your reference to messing w/ the VPN, it seems more likely the WAN remains connected at all times, but you're somehow creating routing issues w/ your changes. It's all rather vague, so it's difficult to be more definitive.

Is there any documentation/guidance that tells the circumstances under which the routers disconnect the WAN port? I’m using an RT-AX3000 which is now connected directly to the internet via the FIOS network. I’m using FreeDNS on the router to mitigate IP changes, but a problem arises for the TiVOs used in the house. Due to my testing router features (mainly VPN) changes have happened several times and it’s a bit of trouble to restore connectivity for them. It would be helpful if I knew when I might cause this and maybe schedule my actions...
Using FreeDNS on WAN/DNS Server 1 and 2 has nothing to do with the IP address the router gets from the ISP. Also the VPN use has nothing to do with the router ISP assigned IP Address.
However, using the VPN Client on the router to subvert tracking or Geo-location can mess with the client connectivity and may bypass the assigned DNS servers.
FIOS connection through the Optical Network Terminator (ONT) is usually rock solid. My Asus connection to the ONT has never gone wonky in the past 14 months. VERY glad I am on FIOS and do not miss the old VDSL modem! However, my Centurylink connection gives me a 15 minute DHCP lease which sometimes concerns me.

Using FreeDNS on WAN/DNS Server 1 and 2 has nothing to do with the IP address the router gets from the ISP. Also the VPN use has nothing to do with the router ISP assigned IP Address.
Agree. Reason for mentioning was that my concern is not change of ip per se. Just that if Tivo does not have correct ip info they loose connection with one another and can not pass needed info for streaming. I no longer use MOCA for anything, so no Ethernet info from that route.
However, using the VPN Client on the router to subvert tracking or Geo-location can mess with the client connectivity and may bypass the assigned DNS servers.
FIOS connection through the Optical Network Terminator (ONT) is usually rock solid. My Asus connection to the ONT has never gone wonky in the past 14 months. VERY glad I am on FIOS and do not miss the old VDSL modem! However, my Centurylink connection gives me a 15 minute DHCP lease which sometimes concerns me.
Yes, connection to ONT seems solid and I’ve had FIOS since it became available, it’s just I only recently converted to Ethernet only.

I have had to reboot the router several times. That would cause IP change, right?