What's new

when will there be a new update ac87u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hello zekesdad it was only a quastion becauce i have still some troubles and I did not know that asus first need to release a new one.
:rolleyes:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commits/master

Here you can see the progress. Thanks again to Merlin for his work.

Thanks for giving the only (semi) useful answer. While it does show progress, it doesn't really provide much in terms of a release.

Look I *get* it's (mostly) a labor of love, but please understand someone asking what to expect isn't be demanding or unappreciative, in fact quite the opposite... they're showing their enthusiasm for the project. We are asking because we love it!

Developers would do well to publish their goals and status... it encourages people to follow along. A simple "I'm shooting to release version x.xx on or about xx/xx/xx", updated occasionally, would keep people happy, build a community, and stop them from asking.

Don't look at these questions as annoying, look at them as applause. ;)

Developers would do well to publish their goals and status... it encourages people to follow along. A simple "I'm shooting to release version x.xx on or about xx/xx/xx", updated occasionally, would keep people happy, build a community, and stop them from asking.

I've answered that question multiple times already, and one user already repeated my answer in post #5. I can't release anything new until Asus releases new GPLs for all supported models. Right now, I can't even compile any firmware but the RT-AC3200 (and, by cheating, the RT-AC87U). I need copies of the new closed source files for every other models. The wireless configuration code is now closed source, and is unique for each model.

And the very latest code on which I've been working this last week can't be compiled for any of the currently supported models (which is why it's not on Github yet).

So, I can't give any ETA, because I don't have any. It depends on when Asus will release the newer GPLs. It's out of my control.

I've answered that question multiple times already, and one user already repeated my answer in post #5. I can't release anything new until Asus releases new GPLs for all supported models. Right now, I can't even compile any firmware but the RT-AC3200 (and, by cheating, the RT-AC87U). I need copies of the new closed source files for every other models. The wireless configuration code is now closed source, and is unique for each model.

And the very latest code on which I've been working this last week can't be compiled for any of the currently supported models (which is why it's not on Github yet).

So, I can't give any ETA, because I don't have any. It depends on when Asus will release the newer GPLs. It's out of my control.

Im confused, but did ASUS, whom ive heard has actively worked with you in the past, lock up the code for these machines?

Im confused, but did ASUS, whom ive heard has actively worked with you in the past, lock up the code for these machines?

Seems like they've always been locked up. Just that right now, they also haven't released any of the new GPL's either so RMerlin can continue his work.

New FCC rules forced Asus to recently close the source code that handles the wireless configuration. And due to abuse from other developers taking technologies licensed for exclusive use on Asus routers and making it run on competitors hardware, they also more recently had to close down additional parts of the code.

Thank you, but this says the same as my assumption. No more Merlin updates. :(

You're reading it wrong. :)

Just be patient. New releases coming soon(ish).

New FCC rules forced Asus to recently close the source code that handles the wireless configuration. And due to abuse from other developers taking technologies licensed for exclusive use on Asus routers and making it run on competitors hardware, they also more recently had to close down additional parts of the code.
Beside the delays in release, does this affect your FW development in any way?