What's new

Where to get good Patch cables

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CAT has nothing to do with power carrying ability. It could be untwisted and carry plenty of voltage/current if the proper thickness.

In CCA the aluminum carries no power whatsoever, it is simply a structure for the copper to sit on. Skin effect means the electricity passes only on the outside, which is where the copper is, that is the whole reason for CCA. The disadvantages of CCA are that the copper can wear off (an issue for coax that is plugged/unplugged a lot, not an issue for ethernet as the concoctors are not exposed to any wear) and that frequent bending can cause cracking more quickly, but who is regularly flexing an ethernet cable at sharp angles?
CAT is the definition of specs that the cable should meet. All this other crap is being hopeful that will they make more money.

I don't want CCA cable regardless. They seem to hide that fact their cable is CCA.

CAT is the definition of specs that the cable should meet. All this other crap is being hopeful that will make more money.

Yes, and the CAT specs do not have anything to do with POE. They are related to data communication. The power handling capability is strictly based on the gauge of the wire inside the cable, and the temperature rating.

A CAT3 20AWG will carry far more power with less voltage drop than a CAT8 30AWG. Of course it will only do 10 megabits of data reliably.

Both solid copper and CCA can easily meet all of the CAT specs, even CAT 8. They can also carry the same amount of power based on gauge. However a higher CAT cable will not necessarily be able to carry POE+ or POE++ (especially not type 4).

Depending on distance, POE++ Type 4 could very well need 20AWG conductors, which is going to be very hard/impossible to find. 22 AWG is available and should be ok, 23 AWG will do it at shorter distances. Granted POE++ uses 4 wires for + and 4 wires for - so that helps reduce the amount of current each wire must carry, but at the full 100 watts, you still need larger gauge wire. The current on each wire won't be exactly the same as the resistance will differ slightly, so it isn't as easy as dividing the total current for your application by 4 and selecting a gauge based on that.

Last edited:
So, I need some good patch cables to run POE+ over for wireless APs. I have not been happy with Amazon on longer cables. They are trying to sell cheap stuff. I looked at Walmart. Walmart's cables are not even branded CAT anything even though they sell them as CAT6a. Best buy I plan to look and maybe Altex. I would like real copper the correct diameter not smaller. Anybody know?
How long?

I would like real copper the correct diameter not smaller.

I looked at Walmart. Walmart's cables are not even branded CAT anything even though they sell them as CAT6a.

They are most likely not even Cat5e quality:

"The vast majority of cables sold as Category 6 or 6a, whether in brick-and-mortar establishments or online, simply do not meet the Category 6 or 6a specifications; we've put a lot of samples of a lot of other manufacturers' product through proper certification testing, and cables that actually pass spec are unusual. In fact, it's not uncommon for cables that are sold as "Cat 6" to even fail to meet Cat 5e specifications. Vendors get away with misrepresenting Ethernet patch cord performance because the average consumer isn't in a position to buy the $10,000 worth of gear it'll take to check his purchase against the spec. Here at Blue Jeans Cable we don't want to have anything to do with misrepresenting spec compliance -- every Ethernet patch cable we sell comes with its own individual test report, run on a Fluke DTX-1800 certification tester, showing that it meets or exceeds the applicable spec. If it doesn't, we won't sell it."

I think this is a very good article:

And no I do not work for BJC, but I just got some of their cables and they are really good.

Anyway, if you can afford these cables, I highly recommend them.

If you are more on a budget, then I truly think Monoprice is good enough. I would recommend their Cat6 cables, as these should handle 10gb out to 50 meter length or so, but, if you have a run that long, a solid wire cable is better than a patch cable, which are usually stranded.

Test report from one of the cables I got recently is attached. Great quality wire (Belden) and connectors.

Attachments

• IMG_1744.JPG
    IMG_1744.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 26
CCA isn't the end of the world (especially in ethernet), but pure copper is readily available too.

I'd look at the monoprice 23AWG cat6 (more power carrying ability but a bit less bandwidth/noise rejection) or the 26AWG CAT6A (should still be fine for POE+ and will handle 10G at full 328 feet). I believe they had a 24AWG cat6a but not seeing it on their site anymore, it is on amazon but pretty pricey. Most of them are pure copper.

I mean if you want really good stuff you're looking at Panduit but that is big $$

Personally I have a spool of CAT6A solid 23AWG and just do my runs and terminate them myself. But it requires special ends and crimper, unless you use punchdown/keystone jacks (still have to get 6A rated ones and terminate them properly, with little to no untwisting).

Edit - actually walmart has the monoprice 24AWG 6A for decent prices. Shipped by monoprice. Not sure why I'm not finding them on monoprice's site. Monoprice's site does have CAT8 24AWG and are running a 20% off coupon so the prices on those are decent too.

Oddly they rate their CAT6 at 550Mhz and Cat6A at 500. Cat6 is technically 250 "minimum" but if it tests higher they can advertise that. So the 24awg Cat 6 may give you exactly what you need. The only downside is CAT6 does not require the shielding between pairs to prevent crosstalk so likely can't do 10gig at full 328 feet.
CCA does not meet specs by definition, and is a marker of poor quality, like face tattoos. (Drinkingbird, if you have a face tattoo of a Flamingo with a dirty martini, I take that back!)

Edit - actually walmart has the monoprice 24AWG 6A for decent prices. Shipped by monoprice. Not sure why I'm not finding them on monoprice's site.

Weird: I cannot find that on their site either.

I honestly think Monoprice Cat6 in 24 or 23 gauge is more than enough for OP:

And, I do not think OP needs shielded cables, but, I left them in the above length. (OP, shielding often causes more problems than it solves.)

Most of them are pure copper.

Unless something changed, and I hope not, Monoprice only sells pure copper, no CCA.

How long?

They are most likely not even Cat5e quality:

"The vast majority of cables sold as Category 6 or 6a, whether in brick-and-mortar establishments or online, simply do not meet the Category 6 or 6a specifications; we've put a lot of samples of a lot of other manufacturers' product through proper certification testing, and cables that actually pass spec are unusual. In fact, it's not uncommon for cables that are sold as "Cat 6" to even fail to meet Cat 5e specifications. Vendors get away with misrepresenting Ethernet patch cord performance because the average consumer isn't in a position to buy the $10,000 worth of gear it'll take to check his purchase against the spec. Here at Blue Jeans Cable we don't want to have anything to do with misrepresenting spec compliance -- every Ethernet patch cable we sell comes with its own individual test report, run on a Fluke DTX-1800 certification tester, showing that it meets or exceeds the applicable spec. If it doesn't, we won't sell it."

I think this is a very good article:

And no I do not work for BJC, but I just got some of their cables and they are really good.

Anyway, if you can afford these cables, I highly recommend them.

If you are more on a budget, then I truly think Monoprice is good enough. I would recommend their Cat6 cables, as these should handle 10gb out to 50 meter length or so, but, if you have a run that long, a solid wire cable is better than a patch cable, which are usually stranded.

Test report from one of the cables I got recently is attached. Great quality wire (Belden) and connectors.

Bluejeans has a vested interest in these tests and reviews....

Didn't want to read this @degrub. Now my ocd will kick and have to replace cables. I know I have Monoprice cat 6 in wall. These
were put in during construction of our home. At least they are in conduit. To bad I just found this forum lately...

I found this thread Recommended Ethernet Cable Brands. And this reply @Trip here.

Edit: I looked at material on installer invoice, all in wall is Vertical Cable. Now I can just replace the other cables.😰

So do I. It works absolutely fine.

And vertical cable: looks to be pure copper only, no CCA, looks fine.

Bluejeans has a vested interest in these tests and reviews....
Of course they do!

But they post their results, and, stand behind their products.

Belden and Mohawk have vested interests in testing too, as do auto manufactures, aircraft, pretty much any tech.

CCA does not meet specs by definition, and is a marker of poor quality, like face tattoos. (Drinkingbird, if you have a face tattoo of a Flamingo with a dirty martini, I take that back!)

Weird: I cannot find that on their site either.

I honestly think Monoprice Cat6 in 24 or 23 gauge is more than enough for OP:

And, I do not think OP needs shielded cables, but, I left them in the above length. (OP, shielding often causes more problems than it solves.)

Unless something changed, and I hope not, Monoprice only sells pure copper, no CCA.

You'd be amazed at how much you're surrounded by CCA and/or CCS. Coax from cable companies (and most big box stores) has been CCA for a long time. I regularly see mention that it does not meet spec but have not seen it specifically called out in the spec, and likely it just hasn't been updated. 28AWG used to not be in the spec but was added. As long as the cable can pass the required frequency and meets the other requirements for crosstalk, capacitance, resistance, etc, it will be fine. I prefer pure copper just to know that the core isn't going to crack or wear faster than the clad with regular use, but in reality that's unlikely to happen.

You can find junk cables from lots of companies. Monoprice sells flat and ultra thin cables that are 32AWG and can't possibly meet the specs they claim to. Just gotta know what to look for, and barring that, stick with the higher priced professional brands.

Of course they do!

But they post their results, and, stand behind their products.

Belden and Mohawk have vested interests in testing too, as do auto manufactures, aircraft, pretty much any tech.

The difference is those are tested by third parties out of house.

Agreed, you MUST ground one end, and one end only. Which is easier said than done. Doing it wrong actually turns it into an antenna or introduces a ground loop which leaves you worse off than UTP.

This is the same generic response everyone makes about monoprice.

If you want inexpensive patch cables that are good 99.9% of the time, pretty hard to beat vs other brands on amazon.

If you want individually swept and tested cables, and are prepared to pay 5 to 10x as much, then no, don't use monoprice.

Agree. I found them more than a decade ago on Slashdot, when IT/sysadmins were talking about patch cables, where to get them, whether to make them yourself (no, generally.)

As for bulk, I have used this

without any issues (and yes I know about the recall, I missed that batch of cable, but I thankfully also missed flying on the recalled Boeing 737 Max)

The Reelex 2 box is a sign it's not bargain basement level wire. Has plenty of certifications, and, that is where the recall started, they were checking on quality and found an issue. Monoprice replaced all the faulty wire, by the way, including installation. (No I do not work for them nor have I!)

I have used Belden before they sold to China; I am sure they are cheaper now.
I think I want better than just for home use stuff. I want the cable to have CAT6 or CAT6a printed on the outside casing.

I don't have access to a Fluke now so I am kind of working blind.
I have 1 Amazon cable that causes my POE+ wireless unit to run very hot.

Belden did not get "sold to China".

Belden has been doing the acquiring for some time now.

"I don't have access to a Fluke now so I am kind of working blind.
I have 1 Amazon cable that causes my POE+ wireless unit to run very hot."

Blue Jeans Cable (you get the fluke print out with it) or Monoprice Cat6, larger gauge, 23 gauge.

Agree. I found them more than a decade ago on Slashdot, when IT/sysadmins were talking about patch cables, where to get them, whether to make them yourself (no, generally.)

As for bulk, I have used this

without any issues (and yes I know about the recall, I missed that batch of cable, but I thankfully also missed flying on the recalled Boeing 737 Max)

The Reelex 2 box is a sign it's not bargain basement level wire. Has plenty of certifications, and, that is where the recall started, they were checking on quality and found an issue. Monoprice replaced all the faulty wire, by the way, including installation. (No I do not work for them nor have I!)

I haven't tried their bulk cable, mostly because I came into a bunch of spools of Panduit Cat6A and Superior Essex 5e which will last me a very long time. But really if you have the opportunity, run flex duct so that if you do have to replace cable later, it will be easy. Or at the very least, fish through pull string and leave it behind your plate and run to an accessible area. Not possible in all circumstances obviously but really makes things nice in the future.

I would probably consider their bulk solid cable but would do some more research on it, don't know enough about it since I haven't shopped for bulk in a while.

You can find junk cables from lots of companies. Monoprice sells flat and ultra thin cables that are 32AWG and can't possibly meet the specs they claim to. Just gotta know what to look for, and barring that, stick with the higher priced professional brands.
Oh I agree! I also think Monoprice should not sell Cat7 (really?), and Cat8 isn't really necessary either.

The one time I have had trouble with a Monoprice cable was a thin Cat6a--it worked fine, but the RJ45 connector wouldn't release properly. Sucked.

Blue Jeans Cable (you get the fluke print out with it) or Monoprice Cat6, larger gauge, 23 gauge.

There are homemade speaker wires made out of tons of CAT cable braided together, takes forever but considered some of the best you can have for a fraction of the price of "audiophile" premade ones. The go-to for those is still a specific Belden cable. Their copper has been proven many times to be extremely low oxygen, and the jacket on each wire is thick and durable. They are a bit less common for CAT cables these days, at least in the US. I see a lot more Panduit and Commscope.

You are right it was Linksys and Belkin which was sold not Belden. I should have googled it. Must of been a senior moment.

Last edited:
I replaced the BB cables with some 5e cables I had used prior and everything improved.
These 5e cables are stamped also. Something is up with the BB cables. I need to find new.

Any thoughts on CAT 6 cables from FS?

I replaced the BB cables with some 5e cables I had used prior and everything improved.
These 5e cables are stamped also. Something is up with the BB cables. I need to find new.

Any thoughts on CAT 6 cables from FS?

Probably the same cables Monoprice sells.

Either get no name cables, or spend the money on the commercial grade ones mentioned. Monoprice cables, as long as you look at the specs and don't get the flat, slim, tiny AWG ones, will most likely be fine. At their prices, buy a couple extra, if one or two don't work, they'll refund you and probably tell you to toss them.

The only "in between" I can think of is Cables2Go, they are owned by Legrand but probably made in china from the same suppliers as everyone else.

So, I was close to Altex Electronics in Austin TX and I bought a CAT6 patch cable it looks good. I may start buying all my cables there and not on Amazon. I will test it over the next few days.

I am happy with the Altex Electronics CAT6 patch cable so I am going to buy a few more short ones.