What's new

Which 2.4GHz channel to lock to?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justinh

In an ASUS post, someone was having trouble with their 2.4GHz band. It was suggested to set the channel to auto and monitor which channel the router prefers, then lock it to that channel. I thought I would give it a try. Well, my router doesn't seem to have a preference o_O This is what I've observed over the past couple of days:
9, 5, 2, 6, 2, 1, 1, 2, 1, 11, 5, 4, 11, 4, 1, 3, 2, 1

Given this variability, any advice as to what channel to use on my RT-AC68P? Or is Auto better in this case?

There is not much interference from other WiFi (houses are far enough apart), except for a secondary ISP's modem in the same room that runs a 2.4 network.

Last edited:
Test Ch1, use 20MHz for Channel Bandwidth. To common 2-stream N client and link speed of 144Mbps you can get about 90Mbps throughput.

11 20mhz is my channel of choice

and

64 160mhz for 5ghz

This is your choice in the UK. May not be a good choice in different region.
Yes you are correct. but it may also be a good choice. The option is there to experiment with. Do you dare to experiment ?

Do you dare to experiment ?

In our Kingdom 160MHz with control channel 64 means 36-64 and it's better to use non-DFS control channel 36-48. I'm planning to experiment with one Caribou Crossing Single Barrel whiskey today though. Not sure which channel I'm going to be tuned on after. It may cause some interference. :)

In our Kingdom 160MHz with control channel 64 means 36-64 and it's better to use non-DFS control channel 36-48. I'm planning to experiment with one Caribou Crossing Single Barrel whiskey today though. Not sure which channel I'm going to be tuned on after. It may cause some interference. :)

If you are keen to try some real whisky, may I suggest https://bunnahabhain.com/

Although I do love a drop of american/canadian/irish/english/japanese as well. No one imo does it better than the Scottish.

If you are keen to try some real whisky

So many test samples arrived and I don't know where to start. The issue I'm having - the reset to factory defaults process is taking much longer. I may have to do dirty upgrades and it may negatively affect the test results. I'll try to stay connected though without losing the control channel.

I live in an apartment complex that is saturated with wifi on both bands.

I use channel 6 for 2.4Ghz band and channel 40 for 5Ghz band. For me, these channels work just fine.

This one did not hold the center channel well. The caribou is still crossing through my head. :D
I did wonder what was causing your outbursts.