What's new

which anti-spam solution to use on Windows 2008 + Enkompass + MailEnable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SoftDux-Rudi

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

Can someone please give me some recommendation on good anti-spam measures / applications to use on Windows2008 + MailEnable? The server runs Enkompass control panel.

I have RBL's enabled:
  • Barracuda Reputation Block List
  • Spamcop
  • SpamhausZEN

I also have greylisting enabled.

What else can I do, or which other anti-spam applications work well for Windows 2008 + MailEnable?

My preferred method is to have an offsite mail bastion host that acts like a middle man..the MX record points to them, they scrub the mail of viruses/spam, and then deliver it to the pub IP of your office. In this fashion you can also lock down your mail server by setting ACLs to only accept SMTP traffic from the IP range of your mail host. Such as Postini, MXLogic, AppRiver. Instead of having port 25 exposed to the whole world...yuck! You also just have your mail server forward mail out to them, on the way to the internet. This benefits you because you don't need to worry about RevDNS and PTRs...and avoiding getting on black lists.

If you don't want to offload that service, my next preferred approach is to have a hardware appliance stand in between your mail server and the internet, SMTP traffic passes through it..and gets scrubbed. We use Untangle, with the CommTouch add-on, and Kaspersky add-on. Astaro is another great product. Barracuda also.

I don't like putting anti spam software on mail servers, I always prefer to offload that task to a hardware appliance. If you start doing too many different things in various software on your mail server...can become incredible tedious in troubleshooting and tracking and maintaining things, not to mention performance hits.

My preferred method is to have an offsite mail bastion host that acts like a middle man..the MX record points to them, they scrub the mail of viruses/spam, and then deliver it to the pub IP of your office. In this fashion you can also lock down your mail server by setting ACLs to only accept SMTP traffic from the IP range of your mail host. Such as Postini, MXLogic, AppRiver. Instead of having port 25 exposed to the whole world...yuck! You also just have your mail server forward mail out to them, on the way to the internet. This benefits you because you don't need to worry about RevDNS and PTRs...and avoiding getting on black lists.

If you don't want to offload that service, my next preferred approach is to have a hardware appliance stand in between your mail server and the internet, SMTP traffic passes through it..and gets scrubbed. We use Untangle, with the CommTouch add-on, and Kaspersky add-on. Astaro is another great product. Barracuda also.

I don't like putting anti spam software on mail servers, I always prefer to offload that task to a hardware appliance. If you start doing too many different things in various software on your mail server...can become incredible tedious in troubleshooting and tracking and maintaining things, not to mention performance hits.

Thanx for the input. I had a barracuda on the server (or rather, connected to) but wasn't very impressed with it. Maybe I should have had it longer but could only get a 15day trail period on it.

The main reason why don't want to use services like Postini (looks great though) is that every time a client wants to add an email address we have to create an new account on Postini for them (or that's how I understand it works?) and using Postini will also directly influence pricing.

But, I think I should give it a go on a few accounts and see how well it works.

Yeah some services like that require you to build a mailbox per user at the filtering site......appriver is similar.
The one we came up with for our clients, it's a global per domain filtering system, no need to build a mailbox per user.

If you're into installing a linux distro on hardware...I encourage you to give Untangle a shot....the free version does better than nothing. For the pay for version...with options like Kaspersky and CommTouch....it's excellent. And the users get a quarantine digest delivered each morning at 6..which they click on..and view/manage in their web browser.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!