What's new

Which CDNs support edns-client-subnet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paliv

I have been looking around for info on what DNS providers use EDNS Client Subnet and stumbled onto this old article with an updated list (from last year) of who does and does not. Interestingly Akamai and Fastly, two of the biggest players in streaming content, only support ECS on Google and OpenDNS. This has left me to probably just use my ISP as I get suboptimal routing on a few big streaming services through Quad9 with ECS. Just some useful info in case anyone else was curious about ECS implementation.

I have been looking around for info on what DNS providers use EDNS Client Subnet and stumbled onto this old article with an updated list (from last year) of who does and does not. Interestingly Akamai and Fastly, two of the biggest players in streaming content, only support ECS on Google and OpenDNS. This has left me to probably just use my ISP as I get suboptimal routing on a few big streaming services through Quad9 with ECS. Just some useful info in case anyone else was curious about ECS implementation.

What country are you in?

The fastest DNS for me is always when I have checked is my local ISP DNS. I prefer QUAD9 even though it takes a few milliseconds more.

The fastest DNS for me is always when I have checked is my local ISP DNS. I prefer QUAD9 even though it takes a few milliseconds more.
I like Quad9, my problem is for some CDNs it routes me half way across the USA leading to occasional streaming issue. Even when using 9.9.9.11.

I stream 4K on an 85-inch Sony TV with no problems. Last time I checked I was going through California palo alto for QUAD9. I live in Texas.

My wife uses Zoom with her friends almost every day. A lot of the time we are doing both. If my granddaughter is here, she is gaming, steam, and Zooming with her friends all at the same time.

I live in New Mexico with Comcast (hi neighbor) and mine go to Chicago for the most part. I actually talked to them about it and right now that is the most efficient routing. However, they told me later this year Phoenix and Denver should be coming online for transit. It really is mostly the same as my ISP, but occasionally when I get a Chicago server it can cause blurry shows, which was a complaint. So I was just looking into it.

By the way the support person from Quad9 told me that Dallas just was put online for transit yesterday, so you may see that now. Worth checking for curiosity’s sake.

I live in New Mexico with Comcast (hi neighbor) and mine go to Chicago for the most part. I actually talked to them about it and right now that is the most efficient routing. However, they told me later this year Phoenix and Denver should be coming online for transit. It really is mostly the same as my ISP, but occasionally when I get a Chicago server it can cause blurry shows, which was a complaint. So I was just looking into it.
I have noticed with Prime after you watch a show it tries to run the second one at low res. I think it is a Prime feature. Maybe Prime is hoping to limit use. If you get out of Prime and back in then you get the higher res. This does not happen on movies or other providers like Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, PBS, and HBO MAX.

I have noticed with Prime after you watch a show it tries to run the second one at low res. I think it is a Prime feature. Maybe Prime is hoping to limit use. If you get out of Prime and back in then you get the higher res. This does not happen on movies or other providers like Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, PBS, and HBO MAX.
We've notice similar issues with Prime, usually takes about 5-10 seconds to pop the HD stream. I never backed out and restarted since it resolved fairly quickly. On the Networking subreddit I found a discussion about ECS and Amazon was on the list that had occasional suboptimal routing using DNS resolvers outside of your network.

I have to get out. I am using an AppleTV 4K. I don't think it has anything to do with DNS. the site is already resolved. It is something Prime is doing in their network.

I have to get out. I am using an AppleTV 4K. I don't think it has anything to do with DNS. the site is already resolved. It is something Prime is doing in their network.
Ah, I use FireTV 4K sticks. Definitely could be device dependent. I was just thinking if you got a sub-optimal CDN that might cause odd buffering for the higher resolution. But if it starts fine that seems less likely.