What's new

Which NAS based on my setup/requirements?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nk4787

New Around Here
I have taken a look at the NAS buying guide article and the NAS charts but was hoping to get some final suggestions by detailing my setup/requirements.

Background information/My setup:

-Mac OS X
-15 mbps internet connection
-Using a DLINK DIR 628 wireless router (hard wired to modem)
(For reference: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=670)
-Using a XBOX 360 (hard wired to wireless router)
-XBOX 360 is connected to lcd tv
-I connect to the internet from my computer on my wireless network
-Computer and TV are in same room on opposite ends (so I should/will never watch media on my computer)
-Once I get the NAS I will hardwire it to the wireless router so the NAS and the XBOX don't have to worry about wireless interference (I think) when streaming.

What I want to do/requirements:

-Media serving
-I want to be able to stream all my media from my NAS to my XBOX for playback on my TV
-I want to be able to playback media (primarily music) on my computer using iTunes from the NAS as well as have access to that music on my XBOX
-I want all media content I download to be downloaded to the NAS directly (as opposed to my computer HD and then me transferring it over)
-I will be primarily dealing with HD 1080p video

NAS specific requirements:

-Drive ready (not BYOD)
-My budget: $200-250 maximum
-Space requirement: 1TB
-Mac OS X
-User friendly

I came to this site thinking the Lacie Network Storage was my best bet just because it has been marketed to me as one of the top Mac compliant drives, etc. After doing some reading I see that it's relatively slow and that something like the Western Digital My World White Bar or Iomega drives would be a better pick. I was just hoping on getting some final suggestions based on my exact setup requirements (specifically being able to download directly to the hard drive).

Thanks in advance,
-N

What exactly does it mean by automatic torrent downloading? Is that any different from me setting my torrent downloader to use the NAS as the download directory?

Yes, it's different. The Torrent download service is built into the NAS. You don't need to run it on a PC. If all you need is for the NAS to be the target for a torrent downloader run on a PC, then any NAS can do that.

Yeah all I wanted was a 'media hub' which has all my music/video files and will allow me to play them back on my TV and/or computer.

I'm torn between the Western Digital My World and the Buffalo drive you suggested. The Buffalo will cost me a little more (including the extra shipping since I'm not finding a reseller in Canada) but I like the fact that it's faster and it's black.

Either way thanks for the help.
-N