What's new

Which router/access point to buy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tallguy

New Around Here
Hi there,

My current setup is the Bell supplied HH2000 in the basement and Asus RT-N65U on the main floor.

I do not have the liberty to move the Asus, which I'm looking to replace, to the second floor (no Ethernet).

I have both boxes on the same SSID, both on separate channels, one high 5ghz, one low 5ghz.

Currently only have those two 5ghz channels empty (just me using them). 2.4ghz is very overcrowded in my neighborhood.

I have issues with lag on the second floor and would like to either supplement or replace the Asus.

I live in Canada and for whatever reason neither box is seeing the DFS channels. I've tried the auto channel, different channel widths, etc. All that happens is I end up on the most crowded channels and still have the same issue. So I'm asking that any device suggested can and will use the DFS channels. I haven't been able to find much documentation on the manufacturer side, so I've come here.

Thanks

If you can't bridge the H2000, configure your Asus router to AP mode. Let the H2000 be the DHCP Server for your home.
Run Ethernet (min Cat5e) between Asus and H2000. If you add another router as an AP, do the same. Run another Ethernet cable between a second AP and H2000.
If your devices support 5ghz, you can easily disable 2.4ghz on AP's (read documentation for H2000 on how to disable 2.4ghz - hopefully Bell allows that).
Use higher channels for 5ghz (149-161 range). Ipads, iphones, androids, laptops, support the higher 5ghz channels.

If you can't bridge the H2000, configure your Asus router to AP mode. Let the H2000 be the DHCP Server for your home.
Run Ethernet (min Cat5e) between Asus and H2000. If you add another router as an AP, do the same. Run another Ethernet cable between a second AP and H2000.
If your devices support 5ghz, you can easily disable 2.4ghz on AP's (read documentation for H2000 on how to disable 2.4ghz - hopefully Bell allows that).
Use higher channels for 5ghz (149-161 range). Ipads, iphones, androids, laptops, support the higher 5ghz channels.

HH2000 is the dhcp, Asus is in ap mode with Ethernet between the two. I can't add another ap, nowhere Ethernet to second floor, as stated above.

Not sure how disabling 2.4 would make things better...

Also, I only have two 5ghz channels available, the rest have traffic, as stated above.

Other than disabling the 2.4ghz network, which doesn't make any sense, I'm not sure what you've contributed that I haven't already tried and stated above? Perhaps I missed something?

HH2000 is the dhcp, Asus is in ap mode with Ethernet between the two. I can't add another ap, nowhere Ethernet to second floor, as stated above.

Not sure how disabling 2.4 would make things better...

Also, I only have two 5ghz channels available, the rest have traffic, as stated above.

Other than disabling the 2.4ghz network, which doesn't make any sense, I'm not sure what you've contributed that I haven't already tried and stated above? Perhaps I missed something?

netwrks is assuming you know your ish. The rest of us know that even if you upgrade that router, you're still gonna get pwned by the younger kid on the other side of the screen. We also know momma said you can't move that router. To clarify netwrks post, if you ditch the 2.4 and use that frequency exclusively for a mesh, you may be able to reduce transmission hops. All you and the other best buy router owners need to know is that you tell the guy at bestbuy you want a "powerline adapter." I know that assisting you in the issue will mean that you will never learn the why and as a result, free up the job market of coddled individuals. I'm guessing no one else has replied because its unlikely that even people that own the same exact router you mentioned wanted to assist a tool by researching what a HH2000 even is, none-the-less the LAN requirements unique to your network (in netwrks case, WDS btw) enough to give you a more cost-effective solution to your inherently unique networking dilemma.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!