What's new

Which synology features can be accessed remotely?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hungarianhc

Regular Contributor
The more I read through the synology features, the more I like them, but to be clear, can I access all of these remotely?

I.E. Can I...

Upload pics from a trip while i'm abroad to my NAS at home...
Share those pics with family members via some kind of web link so they can browse them...
Share files with people who are not on the LAN...
Stream music and video while I'm traveling...

Perhaps the answer here is obvious. I used to like a product called Tonido. Link here: http://www.tonido.com , but it appears I can get pretty much everything I used to have w/ Synology.

Simple answer, yes to all 4 questions

1. Use PhotoStation which is a web interface to view, download and upload photos

2. Again use PhotoStation - you can set the pictures as 'public' for everyone to see, or you can set up user accounts with a username and password - the username can be assigned to access specific folders if you want

3. Use FileStation - this allows you to upload and download files - usernames and password need to be set up and can be assigned to specific folders

4. I think there are two possible ways to do this, but I haven't tested them so don't know how well they work - As with question 3 you can access the files via FileStation and use the 'play' feature, or use VideoStation which can stream files
I would assume that any streaming would depend on you home upload speed and your travelling device download speed - but in any case you could just do a straight download of the files and then play them locally

Thanks!! I was going to build my own NAS, but the features of the synology product line are really compelling. now i just need to decide between the DS1512+ and DS412+...

The free app ds audio lets you stream music too. For your pictures wouldn't it be better to use something like Dropbox?