What's new

Which to buy GT-AX11000 vs RT-AX88?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gunder Sønsteby

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I have currently a RT-AC87U and a RT-AC66U, where the latter is a accesspoint connected through wire to the main router. I use PIA VPN and want more throughput, both devices run Asus Merlin as firmware. I want to upgrade to a Mesh compatible setup to get more effective WiFi and I want to have AX to make it as future proof as possible. The usage is not especially for gaming.

If I understand things correctly the AX11000 has the best hardware, but the firmware lags behind and it is not possible to use Asus Merlin firmware. The AsusWRT firmware has an old implementation of openvpn which does not support hardware acceleration.

As I understand it the RT-AX88 has not as good hardware (but I do not know the difference), but have a more updated stock firmware (less bugs), but still and old version of openvpn which does not support hardware acceleration. The RT-AX88 has Asus Merlin support.

I would like to have a easy way to take a device from beeing in the VPN range to be outside of the VPN-range. Today I do that with manually changing the IP-adress, but I would like a easier way, for instance by selecting a WiFi network with or without VPN. With my current setup that is not possible.

So given my needs what which router do you recommend for me?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Short answer: An RMerlin supported router and the available and developing scripts it supports is my recommendation. The RT-AX88 would be my choice if these were the only choices to make, right now.

Short answer: An RMerlin supported router and the available and developing scripts it supports is my recommendation. The RT-AX88 would be my choice if these were the only choices to make, right now.

I just found out that Merlin does not support Mesh and have no plans doing so...

So what to do then?

Are there other heavy duty routers out there which have support for Mesh, AX and VPN acceleration with a stabile and flexible firmware that I should consider?

Why not use a less expensive AC86U, instead of the more expensive AX options?

I just found out that Merlin does not support Mesh and have no plans doing so...

So what to do then?

Are there other heavy duty routers out there which have support for Mesh, AX and VPN acceleration with a stable and flexible firmware that I should consider?

There are none that I know of. That is why AiMess should be disregarded as the alpha product it is now and run the most powerful solution otherwise. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!