What's new

Which USB flash drive to use for installing Apps on Asus 86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Raoul

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,
I am totally new to advanced router modifications and also new to this forum, I have a lot to catch up and learn.

I just bought a ASUS RT-AC86U and installed the latest Merlin firmware.
I now wanted to see what cool additions and tweaks I could use.

So first on my list is using Diversion Add blocking . I understand I need to install it on an external drive that is connected directly to the Router.

Questions:
1 - Should I be using the USB2 or USB3 port on the Routre for this?
2 - Since this drive will be connected permanently , What kind of drive should I be using, small flash drive or a external HD? what size?

Any specific recommendation ?
Thakns

cheap 8 or 16GB stick will be fine, USB2.0 with less problems or USB3.0 set to running as USB2.0 only on network map while stick plugged in.

Last edited:
cheap 8 or 16GB stick will be fine, USB2.0 with less problems or USB3.0 set to running as USB2.0 only on network map while stick pluged in.

What do you mean by this "... on network map while stick pluged in..." It has to stay in for good , no?

What do you mean by this "... on network map while stick pluged in..." It has to stay in for good , no?
After you plugged in the usb drive, it will show up on Network Map, clicking on that usb drive icon and a right panel will show up where you can choose the usb mode. As USB 3.0 mode is usually reported to have issues, people usually recommend changing it to USB 2.0. (Note: This is for 384.xx. On older firmwares or future firmwares, this setting may be moved to Tools> Other Settings; or Administration> System; or Wireless> Professional (of 2.4GHz))

A proper method to make the router recognize your USB 3.0 drive:
- turning off the router
- remove/unplug the usb drive
- turn on the router and wait until it fully boot up
- login the webgui, stay at the default Network Map page
- now plug the usb drive in
- wait for some time (maybe 1 minute) and refresh the Network Map page and you'll see your usb drive

For your need, a Sandisk Ultra Flair 16GB is the best choice. You can read more about testing usb drive speed with asus routers here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/entware-which-usb-stick-performs-well.48188/

Nq8GtSh.png

Last edited:
For your need, a Sandisk Ultra Flair 16GB is the best choice.

Thanks for the prompt answer. I will go get one today.
Just to be sure:
This is a USB3 stick, correct?
Do I stick it in the USB3 port of the router or to the USB2.

Is it not better to leave the USB port free for other applications (like poor man NAT - a storage for photo's, movies and Music)?

One more question:
how should I format the USB stick: ext 2/3/4?

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt answer. I will go get one today.
Just to be sure:
This is a USB3 stick, correct?
Do I stick it in the USB3 port of the router or to the USB2.

Is it not better to leave the USB port free for other applications (like poor man NAT - a storage for photo's, movies and Music)?

One more question:
how should I format the USB stick: ext 2/3/4?
Yes, Flair is USB 3.0. Read my post above regarding the use of 3.0 vs 2.0. And obviously, if you want to use 3.0 you have to plug it in the usb 3.0 port, you can always change its mode to usb 2.0 even when it is plugged in usb 3.0 port. Format the usb thumbdrive to ext2 is the best choice.

You didn't mention about personal NAS previously. If you want to do that, then a usb hard drive is recommended, and in that case it should be formatted as ext4.

Last edited:
If you want to do that, then a usb hard drive is recommended
I assume you meant that I use the USB hard drive for both NAS and APPs
Should I not use both ports:
1st port - with flash drive to install and run apps
2nd port - for local NAS

I assume you meant that I use the USB hard drive for both NAS and APPs
Should I not use both ports:
1st port - with flash drive to install and run apps
2nd port - for local NAS
I haven't had the chance to setup like that. But I think that should be fine as well.

So in your opinion , which should I use for apps and which for USB HD - I mean which should be on USB2 and which on USB3?

USB Thumbdrive/stick for apps/entware may be on USB2
USB Hard drive containing data you access often may be on USB3.

Perfect - this is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for.
Now just one last thing...
If I am to connect the USB stick to the USB2 port, I cannot use the "Sandisk Ultra Flair 16GB" you recommended above since it is USB3 - am I correct?
If so, which USB2 stick would you recommend?

1 - Should I be using the USB2 or USB3 port on the Routre for this?
Personally i use the USB 3.0 port and have the USB mode set to USB 3.0 using a USB 3.0 flash drive and never have had issues.

2 - Since this drive will be connected permanently , What kind of drive should I be using, small flash drive or a external HD? what size?
I use SanDisk Extreme 32 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 and have done for a number of years without any issues on both AC68U and AC86U.

I format my usb drives using MiniTool Partition Wizard in my Windows bootcamp environment using ext4 file system.

Perfect - this is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for.
Now just one last thing...
If I am to connect the USB stick to the USB2 port, I cannot use the "Sandisk Ultra Flair 16GB" you recommended above since it is USB3 - am I correct?
If so, which USB2 stick would you recommend?
USB 3.0 is backward compatible so you can use a USB 3.0 flash drive in a USB 2.0 port you will be just limited to USB 2.0 speeds and vice versa.

btw good choice in buying the ac86u, i replaced my ac68u with ac86u and been using for 8/9 months running merlin, beast of a router :D

Last edited:
[QUOTE="

I format my usb drives using MiniTool Partition Wizard in my Windows bootcamp environment using ext4 file system.D[/QUOTE]

Would you be able to share the link for this tool? I was looking online and several links came up but wasn’t sure which one was which.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick question:
I have to USB sticks on sale here , which would be better for this use:
  • SanDisk Ultra Flair 16GB USB 3.0 SDCZ73-016G-G46

• SanDisk Ultra Flair 32GB USB 3.0 SDCZ73-032G-G46
The 32G is actually slightly cheaper than the 16G - is there any reason to go for the 16G ?

Actually, it should be the opposite. Higher capacity models usually get better specs.
great , thanks - I ordered the 32G

Now - I am guessing I should connect it with a short flexible USB extension, since it sticks out of the back of the ASUS RT-AC86U, it it gets pumped I am afraid it might break the connection/port...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!