What's new

Which USB flash drive to use for installing Apps on Asus 86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

great , thanks - I ordered the 32G

Now - I am guessing I should connect it with a short flexible USB extension, since it sticks out of the back of the ASUS RT-AC86U

It will also stay cooler on the end of a short USB extension cable.

(Edit: typo)

As long as this is about USB drives, I know it is not a great idea to use a USB powered hard drive on a router. But, what about a USB powered drive enclosure with a SSD, say a 120 GIG Kingston?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

As long as this is about USB drives, I know it is not a great idea to use a USB powered hard drive on a router. But, what about a USB powered drive enclosure with a SSD, say a 120 GIG Kingston?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
As long as it is a HDD/SSD, it will likely work fine. Don't have your specific drive for testing so I can't say for sure, though. I have a MyPassport Ultra powered by the router's USB 3.0 port.

I have a new SanDisk Ultra Flair 32G USB stick.
I am formatting it right now using the MiniTool Partition wizard.
I am choosing file system: Ext2 (as recommended both here and in the "Requirements for Diversion")
I also have to choose the Cluster size, I have the options of: Default / 1KB / 2KB/ 4KB . which is a better choice?

I am choosing file system: Ext2 (as recommended both here and in the "Requirements for Diversion")
I also have to choose the Cluster size, I have the options of: Default / 1KB / 2KB/ 4KB . which is a better choice?

I am not familar with Ext2, but in the Windows world, larger cluster sizes read and write a bit quicker, but waste more space because of the partially unused (and larger) cluster at the end of each file.

I would imagine that the same applies to Ext2.

Whether the difference is large enough to be noticeable, I don't know.

Unless you know things, just let the partitioning program choose automatically, i.e. Default.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!