What's new

Which Wifi mesh to buy 'this year'

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

puntloos

Occasional Visitor
When should I buy which mesh setup? Not in a hurry ('Nov/Dec' is fine), but don't want to delay if I don't have to.

Quick update to be clear: core reason for 'mesh' is hosting many smart home devices, but NOT a wifi-based backhaul, I will have ethernet cable everywhere. Modern house.

The main candidates are:

- Netgear Orbi 6: good throughput, dependable
- Ubiquiti AmpliFI Alien: best throughput, but low configurability
- UniFi: best configurability, Prosumer style but Wifi 5 means pre-limiting technology

If I had to buy today I think I'd go with Orbi 6, but I hear rumours UniFi-6 might be with us soon which would be a no-brainer. I'm aware that Wifi5->Wifi6 difference is not a *massive* deal today but I imagine that better clients will pull wifi6 ahead more in the future without having to upgrade my mesh hardware (firmware can keep it modern?) - Mu-mimo, OFDMA etc?

Thoughts? Anything I am getting badly wrong here?

Last edited:
You need to buy a Tri-band routers. The DFS channels in the 5.3-5.7 GHz range are perfect to make a dedicated backhaul between the node.

If Nov/Dec is fine, then I suggest waiting for 2021 Q1 to make a sound decision.

A real Tri-Band/Tri-Radio router solution may be out by then (2.4GHz, full 5GHz, full 6GHz). This will give benefits we don't have access to today.

What you're getting 'badly wrong' here is deciding what to do in the future with today's info. :)

HTH.

You need to buy a Tri-band routers.
Interesting. I wonder if these will be allowed everywhere (I'm in europe) at the time of launch.
The DFS channels in the 5.3-5.7 GHz range are perfect to make a dedicated backhaul between the node.

But I don't care *at all* about wifi backhaul, since I will be using wired backhaul everywhere. I actually have a modern house ;)

My main reason for buying mesh is a smooth handover between nodes and supporting many smarthome devices.

Then you need to buy the client devices that support smooth handover between nodes. The nodes or the main router do not control that (even if they need to support it). :)

@puntloos - With wired backhaul everywhere, I'd skip the entire consumer "mesh" segment altogether, as every one of those products (AFAIK) uses the same fronthaul channels across all APs, which limits endpoint connection capacity (even as you scale) and often produces sub-optimal roaming (not to mention you're still dealing with the limitations of consumer firmwares -- flaky behavior, no native VLANs, etc.).

Instead, stick with option 3 and look at purpose-built, controller-based APs (UniFi, Omada, etc.), where unique channels can be assigned on a per-AP basis, you have much greater traffic control, native VLAN capability, way better management, etc. And Ubiquiti has not only FCC-filed, they've also released two Wifi 6 (802.11ax) APs in the Early Access store already (the UniFi 6 In-Wall and UniFi 6 Lite), so the rest of the line will surely be out by Novemeber/December. Here's a screenshot from my UI account (with Beta & Early Access):
UniFi 6.png

Last edited:
@puntloos - With wired backhaul everywhere, I'd skip the entire consumer "mesh" segment altogether, as every one of those products (AFAIK) uses the same fronthaul channels across all APs, which limits endpoint connection capacity (even as you scale) and often produces sub-optimal roaming (not to mention you're still dealing with the limitations of consumer firmwares -- flaky behavior, no native VLANs, etc.).

Instead, stick with option 3 and look at purpose-built, controller-based APs (UniFi, Omada, etc.), where unique channels can be assigned on a per-AP basis, you have much greater traffic control, native VLAN capability, way better management, etc. And Ubiquiti has not only FCC-filed, they've also released two Wifi 6 (802.11ax) APs in the Early Access store already (the UniFi 6 In-Wall and UniFi 6 Lite), so the rest of the line will surely be out by Novemeber/December. Here's a screenshot from my UI account (with Beta & Early Access):
View attachment 23980

That in-wall one has my name *all over it*

wah.png

Exactly, I am not keen on the "fancy clever back/u/front haul" polluting the area.
Very cool. Thanks. Hopefully in Europe as well... what's the normal latency between early access and wide availability?
Also, how does one get access to the early access store? Do you just sign up and then refresh the page every 5 seconds until something pops up?

Then you need to buy the client devices that support smooth handover between nodes. The nodes or the main router do not control that (even if they need to support it). :)

I was under the impression that more modern wifi levels (AX in particular) also make these transitions smoother, as well as better power control?
(I always wondered why my Mac pretty much ALWAYS says it's 4 out of 4 bars, even when the reception is horrendous)

UniFi have recently released early access Wifi 6 APs as well as additional FCC filing, which were started in April. They have 3 APs so far, so I surmise by the time in November we will have full line up of public Wifi 6 APs.

Besides they are scalable (I believe so are all other AP based systems) so you can have wifi 5 APs and as your wifi 6 client catalogue increase add/replace some AP with wifi 6 and subsequently wifi 6E.
I was wondering about this - would it be 'okay' to just go with UniFi 5 today and not have to bin it completely when 6 comes out.... but frankly if 'november' is likely anyway I might just wait.

Personally, I've looked into all 3 in your list for my potential home system replacement and I ended up choosing UniFi. Here is my personal review along with yet to be optimized whole home speed test with it (here). The real power is though stability, scalability and flexibility.
Will read for sure, thank you!
Roaming is a tricky for any system with pros and cons, and what is your expectation. Theoretically, single channel system i.e. consumer mesh should have the advantage but by how much, and at what loss. AP systems like UniFi, Omada Ruckus, Cisco Meraki, Aruba gives you more tools i.e. responsibility setting up creating seamless system. I haven't really optimized my system to full extent, but for my use roaming works without an issue but it is not zero hand over/complete seameless. When I measure with WiFi SweetSpots on my iPhone, roaming moment can stop the app depending on which direction I walk. Turning on Fast roaming option gives warning message/event log so I have it turned off. So I know I can do more to improve roaming with my UniFi but it is not zero hand-over at the moment.
Yeah. As mentioned above I'm *SHOCKED* how bad macbooks are at roaming. Sitting *right next* to my office AP while still happily connected to the 50% packet loss livingroom AP.. Chromebooks are better, Android phones are better. Don't know about windows.
But indeed with more knobs to twiddle I guess UniFi is really my 'spirit animal' here. It's just they are not ready yet.

I used to have Orbi and can't remember how well roaming worked but in reality, the overall system was unstable, it didn't matter. I had bigger issue. But it was not Wi-Fi 6 version.
Well so much for my 'orbi' pre-selection ;) - obviously YMMV..

Modern WiFi standards like AX may seem to be smoother because they happen faster, but that may be because the AX devices themselves have more (and more modern) standards built-in. :)

Exactly, I am not keen on the "fancy clever back/u/front haul" polluting the area.

Very cool. Thanks. Hopefully in Europe as well... what's the normal latency between early access and wide availability?
Also, how does one get access to the early access store? Do you just sign up and then refresh the page every 5 seconds until something pops up?

I was under the impression that more modern wifi levels (AX in particular) also make these transitions smoother, as well as better power control?
(I always wondered why my Mac pretty much ALWAYS says it's 4 out of 4 bars, even when the reception is horrendous)

I was wondering about this - would it be 'okay' to just go with UniFi 5 today and not have to bin it completely when 6 comes out.... but frankly if 'november' is likely anyway I might just wait.

Will read for sure, thank you!

Yeah. As mentioned above I'm *SHOCKED* how bad macbooks are at roaming. Sitting *right next* to my office AP while still happily connected to the 50% packet loss livingroom AP.. Chromebooks are better, Android phones are better. Don't know about windows.
But indeed with more knobs to twiddle I guess UniFi is really my 'spirit animal' here. It's just they are not ready yet.

Well so much for my 'orbi' pre-selection ;) - obviously YMMV..

When I purchased my UniFi recently (about a month+ ago), there wasn't Wi-Fi 6 AP at all but I would have still purchased it because I cannot wait. Beside, my personal home speed test (I had Wi-Fi 6 before) only time WI-Fi 6 beat UniFi was sitting right next to router. But due to better efficiency of UniFi over my previous setup, all devices except one Wi-Fi 6 device I have gained speed by going from Wi-Fi 6 setup to Wi-Fi 5 UniFi. But I still plan to get Wi-Fi 6 AP when the model I want comes out. Though most likely I will keep it just one because my Wi-Fi 6 client list won't grow as quickly. I then plan to get 6E after. Maybe 7... But if you can wait, why not all Wi-Fi 6.

Basically, UniFi is the best system I've owned for whole home coverage and I had Orbi AC3000 series, Eero Pro, and AiMesh (Wi-Fi 6 setup).

what's the normal latency between early access and wide availability?
It varies. Typically, I'd say 3 to 6 months, but you do get certain products go really quick into GA, typically due to being just a new variant in a pre-established model series (ex: ER-10X) or take a lot longer due to the newness/complexity of the platform and/or unforeseen bugs (ex: UDM/UDM Pro).
https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Sign-Up-for-Early-Access
But unfortunately, as of right now at least, it's only available for US-based customers.

It varies. Typically, I'd say 3 to 6 months, but you do get certain products go really quick into GA, typically due to being just a new variant in a pre-established model series (ex: ER-10X) or take a lot longer due to the newness/complexity of the platform and/or unforeseen bugs (ex: UDM/UDM Pro).
https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Sign-Up-for-Early-Access
But unfortunately, as of right now at least, it's only available for US-based customers.

Doh.

Would US-based products work in Europe? Not worried about 'voltage' but more if wifi standards differ subtly and devices breaking unexpectedly because they expect a slightly different 'frequency' etc?

Since 6GHz isn't out yet, no. :)

You won't 'have to', but if I was putting down my money, I wouldn't miss this if December was picked arbitrarily to do this upgrade. :)

Well, OK, but you know what I mean =) - will I 'have to' upgrade again in January? ;)

My limited educated guess is, Wi-Fi 6 products on other manufacture became available early 2019 (may be even earlier) and UniFi just have announced them but not yet public i.e. 18 monts to 2 years delay.

So I highly doubt you'd see any Wi-Fi 6E compatible AP from UniFi product line in 2021. Besides from the business stand point, why would they want to make not yet publicly released product obsolete so quickly? Having said this, I've read not every Early Access product on UniFi store make it to public release. So that's one possibility.

Another exception is that they could decide to use 6 GHz for dedicated Wireless backhaul for their wireless uplink/mesh products. It will boost the performance significantly as they currently don't have dedicated back-haul mesh node. But if we are using wired connection, I don't think there is any gain from it.

You won't 'have to', but if I was putting down my money, I wouldn't miss this if December was picked arbitrarily to do this upgrade. :)

For.. mildly silly reasons I can't get in to Dec 31st is probably my hard deadline for buying new gear. Eh, I doubt I need 6G that soon..
Are there any UniFi competitors (meaning- same prosumer market segment) that are already announcing tri-band?

Of course, there would be gains. No need to upgrade to 6E routing hardware as more and more clients support it and become available/purchased. :)

Buying a one-way ticket to the end of the year is one thing. Buying a one-way ticket to two years ago is another. :)

Silly reasons (mild or otherwise)? Don't buy anything then. :D

I stopped second-guessing myself on what I would need in the expected life of a product. Experience has proven that I always want and need more. :)

Of course, there would be gains. No need to upgrade to 6E routing hardware as more and more clients support it and become available/purchased. :)

Buying a one-way ticket to the end of the year is one thing. Buying a one-way ticket to two years ago is another. :)

Silly reasons (mild or otherwise)? Don't buy anything then. :D

I stopped second-guessing myself on what I would need in the expected life of a product. Experience has proven that I always want and need more. :)

You're right. That's it. I'm sticking to wired. Cat 5E is all I need.. or Cat 6.. or Cat 7.. oh..