What's new

whitelist issue: intel 6300 ultimate-N & lenovo t430s

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Symbiot

Regular Contributor
Hi

Anyone know how to get my lenovo t430s to accept my intel ultimate-N 6300 minipcie card?
it's apparently not on lenovo's whitelist..

I read somewhere that it was possible to change the ID of the card to match a whitelisted card using pciscope.. but must admit I don't really know how to go about doing that..

Any ideas out there? possible other solutions?

Hi,
White list may not be up-to-date. Used to hack BIOS to accept non-listed cards. One reason I stay away from HP or Lenovo laptops.
I often see Lenovo compatible those cards on eBay. You can try
Lenovo/IBM user forum for more info.

Anyone know how to get my lenovo t430s to accept my intel ultimate-N 6300 minipcie card?
it's apparently not on lenovo's whitelist..

I read somewhere that it was possible to change the ID of the card to match a whitelisted card using pciscope.. but must admit I don't really know how to go about doing that..
The problem with changing the card ID is that it can cause problems with operating system driver installation, requiring a customized .inf file or similar.

Any ideas out there? possible other solutions?
I had this sort of silliness with a HP notebook (one reason I no longer purchase HP products). I patched the BIOS to whitelist the card I was using. That sort of thing is a lot harder lately, between signed BIOS files, UEFI / secure boot, etc.

You might try looking on the Lenovo forum over at Notebook Review. It's been a few years since I visited there, but at least some of their brand-specific forums had links to modified BIOS files.

Hi,
White list may not be up-to-date. Used to hack BIOS to accept non-listed cards. One reason I stay away from HP or Lenovo laptops.
I often see Lenovo compatible those cards on eBay. You can try
Lenovo/IBM user forum for more info.

I had thought I ran in to something similar with my HP Envy 4t as I didn't find out about HP's whitelists till after I had bought it, but mine has no whitelisting. It came with an Intel 2230 and I wanted to upgrade to a 7260. I tossed an old Intel 1000 card in there I had laying around and it booted fine, so I bought the 7260 and slapped it in. Work(ed)(s) like a charm.

So at least my specific HP Envy 4t has no whitelist. Most likely it means at least the Envy 4t-1030us (my specific model) doesn't and I bet all Envy 4t laptops have no whitelist. It might cover the entire Envy 4/6 t/z lineup, but I wouldn't bet actual money on it. It might just be that HP completely abandoned them in the last year or so...but I DEFFINITELY wouldn't bet that.

That said, all the whitelist discussion on HP laptops and Wifi cards pretty much universally was talking about laptops from ~2011-2012. I couldn't find much or any discussion of any newer HP laptops in the 2013-2014 period where anyone was talking about running in to a whitelist.

That isn't confirmation that they did away with whitelisting, as absence of proof is not confirmation, but I think it is possibly indicative of HP either doing away with whitelisting or only doing it in select models now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!