What's new

Who can help me figure out my PS4 disconnections and lag?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The ps4's in question use a figure of 8 power lead only. No adapters.
Interesting, but the PS4 downstairs is NAT 2 with zero issues on fortnite. The internet is definitely worse on fortnite as it lags like mad, often kicks you out to the main menu, whereas other games will randomly lag. Yes I use IPTV, I didn't turn on IGMP as not sure what it is.

I knew it...Your network issue is related in IGMP(IGMP Snooping). You have to turn it on and configure it for IPTV and Surveillance Camera. It depends on your ISP. First check your ISP and then configure it. There is no exception unless you don't use WiFi.

Last edited:
Yes I use IPTV, I didn't turn on IGMP as not sure what it is.
You previously said that you're with Virgin Media using a Hub3. They don't provide an IPTV service as referred to on the router. I suspect you really mean streaming services like BBC iPlayer or Netflix which is nothing to do with IPTV.

I knew it...Your network issue is related in IGMP(IGMP Snooping). You have to turn it on and configure it for IPTV and Surveillance Camera. It depends on your ISP. First check your ISP and then configure it. There is no exception unless you don't use WiFi.

Could you explain a little more?

1. Why does the PS4 downstairs work perfectly?
2. Why does the CCTV work perfectly (even remote access)

You previously said that you're with Virgin Media using a Hub3. They don't provide an IPTV service as referred to on the router. I suspect you really mean streaming services like BBC iPlayer or Netflix which is nothing to do with IPTV.

I am on virgin media using a HUB3 and a ASUS AC86U. I am not using IPTV service with virgin or sky. I am streaming content with other services unrelated to my internet provider.
Did you try the N66 in repeater mode, if so what were your results?
Honestly, I cannot remember now. I've messed with it for so long that i've forgotten what I've done. I think I was advised not to use repeater mode in another thread I created.

Anyway, the signal strength is up and down on the ps4. One day 54%, another 74%. Sony recommend a minimum 80% signal strength for a hassle free online gaming. So already its falling short and the N66U is only 7 metres away from this PS4 and one wall inbetween.

As I say, right now, via network cable, everything is stable. So I will just keep monitoring it and ditch the N66U, replace it with a gigabit switch and feed the CAT7 properly through the attic once confirmed theres no issues.

I am pretty much committed now as i've bought the 20m cat7.

Then the comments from @follower regarding IPTV and IGMP are not relevant to your setup.
No worries.

Lets see what happens in the coming days using the LAN cable. If no glitch I will install it. properly.

What I can do as well, just out of pure curiosity, I could install the PS4 downstairs into my sons room and connect via wifi to see what happens with that one (i think you suggested that?). If it doesn't cause any problems, It would indicate WIFI issues on my sons PS4, therefore, while its still under warranty, I could return it for repair/replacement, even though I am still adamant now on installing the lan cable as a permanent solution.

I think via patch cable is the correct way, if you google it, lots of people have WIFI issues on the PS4. Im not sure why, I've stripped one down once to clean it out and noticed the wifi antenna is basically the same as a laptops. But it does appear to be a weak point on the PS4's.

As a side note, this CAT7 cable I've bought looks like really good quality cable.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018KH7E30/?tag=smallncom-21

Could you explain a little more?

1. Why does the PS4 downstairs work perfectly?
2. Why does the CCTV work perfectly (even remote access)

1. It's wired. That's why.
2. It's using Muticast. That's why. That CCTV(or IPTV) effects on your Wifi system. Because it's using Multicast. It means if you don't setup IGMP all of packets from CCTV go to everywhere in your system. Especially it's critical in your WiFi. It's hard to recognize if you only surf the web. However if you play games like Fortnite with WiFi? You will see hell of lag or disconnection.
Also if you plan to use a Switch you have to buy a Switch which supports IGMP. All of devices in your network are responding those Muticast packets for 24 hours. It means all of them work for 24 hours. I can recommend TP-Link SG105, SG108 unmanaged switch. I don't recommend a managed swich because it will give you more issue for settings.

Last edited:
2. It's using Muticast. That's why.
I doubt that he actually has CCTV as that would be analogue TV over coax. It's more likely that he's talking about IP cameras. Most, if not all, "home" IP cameras are unicast not multicast. You'd typically have to be using a commercial surveillance system to have multicast.

1. It's wired. That's why.
2. It's using Muticast. That's why. That CCTV(or IPTV) effects on your Wifi system. Because it's using Multicast. It means if you don't setup IGMP all of packets from CCTV go to everywhere in your system. Especially it's critical in your WiFi. It's hard to recognize if you only surf the web. However if you play games like Fortnite with WiFi? You will see hell of lag or disconnection.
Also if you plan to use a Switch you have to buy a Switch which supports IGMP. All of devices in your network are responding those Muticast packets for 24 hours. It means all of them work for 24 hours. I can recommend TP-Link SG105, SG108 unmanaged switch. I don't recommend a managed swich because it will give you more issue for settings.
I doubt that he actually has CCTV as that would be analogue TV over coax. It's more likely that he's talking about IP cameras. Most, if not all, "home" IP cameras are unicast not multicast. You'd typically have to be using a commercial surveillance system to have multicast.

I used to use the downstairs PS4 via wifi for years without bother. Only opted to use LAN in the last 6 months as it now sits very close to the router.

Heres my CCTV setup:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07411Z3XN/?tag=smallncom-21

Nothing special.

Thanks for the background info. So it looks like it is an analogue camera system that's connected to a DVR. And then there appears to be a single Ethernet connection to the DVR that lets you look at the contents of the disk drive. I'm surprised it's so cheap considering it has a 1TB hard drive.:)

I paid £28 for it on offer from banggood (chinese website) with free delivery. Without the HDD, but I picked up a WD purple cctv HDD for £20 on ebay. Bought it a year ago.

To be fair, its a pretty decent image for what it is. Very good at night too.

Pleased to say the CAT7 solved the problem on that PS4 and now its rock solid stable.

Anyone know where I can buy the corner D line type trunking to sit in the corner of the room to hide this cable? Can't seem to find it at a reasonable price.

Pleased to say the CAT7 solved the problem on that PS4 and now its rock solid stable.

Anyone know where I can buy the corner D line type trunking to sit in the corner of the room to hide this cable? Can't seem to find it at a reasonable price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N25QF1W/?tag=smallncom-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079WPWK5V/?tag=smallncom-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079WS71X8/?tag=smallncom-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=D-line&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Last edited:

cut it 45° and you wont need any.