What's new

Why are the numbers on the Prosafe products so much lower?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ciphermonk

Occasional Visitor
Looking the router comparison chart http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/chart,121/ it looks like the Prosafe FVS336g scores far lower than many of the home routers as far as WAN-LAN performance. I would have thought that with it being a "business" product that it would be the other way around. Are you paying the extra money primarily for the VPN functionality, stability as well as the number of connections that the business line of products can handle?

Throughput isn't necessarily the highest priority in router design.
Remember, all you need is throughput a bit higher than your ISP connection.

I think, yes, you are primarily paying for VPN.

From my experience with "business grade" models....generally you do find an increase in stability, as well as an ability to maintain performance with a larger network running behind it.

I've often walked into a business network that has some home grade sub 100 dollar sitting there running DSL or cable for 15 or 25 or 40 computers..and they'll mention "Oh yeah...we have to reboot that router several times a week!" :rolleyes: "It gets sooooo slow"...or "The connection drops a lot".

Replace with a decent business grade model...and I notice those complaints greatly drop...if not disappear. The business grade router can often go many months in a row without requiring a reboot..if not longer.

I have noticed however, quite a few complaints from posters in many broadband/networking forums...about the Netgear business series being very "slow".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!