What's new

Why can I send email but not browse with Belkin router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ndiaz

New Around Here
First of all, let me say I wish I'd read the review here before buying the Belkin N-150 "Enhanced" router.

Now my question: when using the Belkin N150 I can send and receive email but not browse the Internet. I get error messages from every browser saying the page I'm trying to see (any page) is not available.

Is there a reason behind this?

Could be a DNS problem or a router misconfiguration. Is the problem seen with both wired and wireless connections?

You could try resetting the router to factory defaults.

See if the gateway and DNS settings on your clients are set to the IP
address of the N150.

Got rid of the Belkin, got a Cisco/Linksys

Thank you!

That must have been it. I got rid of the Belkin anyway and got a Linksys WRT54G2. I was initially having the same problem but it seems to be fixed now (my husband set it up).

Thank you very much for all the useful information. I've been avidly reading your articles about wireless networks.

Our home network has a DSL modem and a router downstairs, and the second router/AP I was asking about is for upstairs (brick house, lots of metal). We routinely use 2 notebooks downstairs and 2 desktops + 2 netbooks upstairs. There's at least 3 of these computers running at the same time all the time.

Another question: is an AP needed upstairs or would a range extender be enough? (I see the downstairs signal and can connect to it, but it's low).

Thank you!

Thank you, that's exactly what we've done. Not being very knowledgeable about networks I just wanted to make sure we had made the right choices.

Let me add that finding SNB yesterday led to a thorough overhaul of my networking settings after reading your articles and today is the first time I've experienced a trouble-free day in many, many months (I'm at my computer all day and need Internet and email access all day).

Thanks again for so generously sharing what you know.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!