What's new

Why Can't I Add a 3rd AiMesh Node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Robert Tickle

Occasional Visitor
I currently have an AiMesh system using two RT-AX86U routers with a wired 2.5g backhaul. I purchased a 3rd RT-AX86U to connect as an additional node, but this node would be a Wireless connection. All routers were loaded with Asus-Merlin 3004.388.4. All routers were reset using both the Factory Restore GUI button and the WPS on boot.

The two node system with the 2.5g backhaul works very well. The problem occurs when I add the third node as a wireless node. The AiMesh system finds the new third node just fine and downloads the firmware into it just fine, but when I look at the topology map, the third node is there but very weak. After a minute, the third node disconnects completely.

Is it not possible to mix wired and wireless backhauls? Is there something additional I have to do to make the third node work with a wireless backhaul?

As a test, I used a wired backhaul to connect to the third node and it works just fine, but I cannot use a wired backhaul in the location where I need to place the third node.

Sounds like you've set Wired Backhaul mode in the AiMesh settings. Reverse that setting, reboot the router, and add the wireless node again, after you've reset it, of course.

Sounds like you've set Wired Backhaul mode in the AiMesh settings. Reverse that setting, reboot the router, and add the wireless node again, after you've reset it, of course.
Thank you sir for your reply. You are correct. I did have Ethernet Backhaul Mode turned on.
So now I understand that when Ethernet Backhaul Mode is selected, it means that ALL backhauls MUST be wired.
I'm slow, but I'm learning. :)