What's new

Why do some wireless access points reuse the same MAC address for the LAN interface as well as for one of their radios( 2.4 or 5.0 GHz ) ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ozzieg

New Around Here
Each of my ASUS routers/APs have the same MAC address for their LAN and 2.4 GHz radio. I don't see this pattern with other manufacturers.

Is there a design story behind the decision ? Even though the WAN and LAN interfaces are implemented in software, and they can be set to virtually anything, why not make them unique for faster targeting when debugging ?

Each of my ASUS routers/APs have the same MAC address for their LAN and 2.4 GHz radio. I don't see this pattern with other manufacturers.

Is there a design story behind the decision ? Even though the WAN and LAN interfaces are implemented in software, and they can be set to virtually anything, why not make them unique for faster targeting when debugging ?

I was wondering about this yesterday... if it is just misinformation in the webUI.

OE

I was wondering about this yesterday... if it is just misinformation in the webUI.

OE
No it's not displaying incorrect information. The Broadcom routers have always been like this. I don't know why but it just seems this is the reference design from Broadcom and all the different manufacturers just layer their custom firmware on top of it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!