What's new

Why do we need to connect one of the mesh pods to the router via ethernet cable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tolgahan

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I've been searching for mesh wifi systems and decided to add ASUS Lyra to my AC68U but for setup, you need to connect 1 of the 3 Lyras to your router (AC68U) via ethernet cable and the other 2 pods can be setup without it.

I wonder why do we need to connect 1 of the 3 Lyras to the router via ethernet cable? I mean the router already supports Aimesh so couldn't it be considered as the main pod and no need to wire one of the other 3 pods? In this case we could have more clean setup and possible more coverage since 1st pod wouldn't need to be wired to the router which would otherwise make it closer to the router.

There's no point on connecting a pod to the router because the router itself already has wifi, obviously but connecting a pod to the router via modem will make 2 wifi in the same room which is unnecessary.

Why do we need this kind of setup at all? Why all 3 pods can't be connected to the router wirelessly? If mesh pods would be from a different brand and we try to use it with an Asus router, I would understand such a setup but in this scenario, router and the mesh pods are from the same brand (Asus) and router itself supports Aimesh too, not just the pods.

If that is the design parameters...

If you set up the other two, can you remove the wired one and have them still working?

Hi guys,

I've been searching for mesh wifi systems and decided to add ASUS Lyra to my AC68U but for setup, you need to connect 1 of the 3 Lyras to your router (AC68U) via ethernet cable and the other 2 pods can be setup without it.

I wonder why do we need to connect 1 of the 3 Lyras to the router via ethernet cable? I mean the router already supports Aimesh so couldn't it be considered as the main pod and no need to wire one of the other 3 pods? In this case we could have more clean setup and possible more coverage since 1st pod wouldn't need to be wired to the router which would otherwise make it closer to the router.

There's no point on connecting a pod to the router because the router itself already has wifi, obviously but connecting a pod to the router via modem will make 2 wifi in the same room which is unnecessary.

Why do we need this kind of setup at all? Why all 3 pods can't be connected to the router wirelessly? If mesh pods would be from a different brand and we try to use it with an Asus router, I would understand such a setup but in this scenario, router and the mesh pods are from the same brand (Asus) and router itself supports Aimesh too, not just the pods.

AiMesh can be configure in Router mode or AP mode. In AP mode, you must wire the AiMesh root node to a non-AiMesh router, like with a normal AP.

Maybe Lyra only works in AiMesh AP mode. Maybe not. Try it however you want and see if it works. I suspect you can add the reset Lyra nodes as remote nodes to any AiMesh router... knock on wood.

OE

I don't have them to put into test but there are comments that people saying when you unplug the one that you wired to your router, whole network collapses. But I don't know if people are using Aimesh routers or not.

I have an AC68U which supports Aimesh and I'm thinking about getting ASUS Lyra only IF the 3 pods work without wired connection. I need to find this out first.

I don't have them to put into test but there are comments that people saying when you unplug the one that you wired to your router, whole network collapses. But I don't know if people are using Aimesh routers or not.

I have an AC68U which supports Aimesh and I'm thinking about getting ASUS Lyra only IF the 3 pods work without wired connection. I need to find this out first.

Me, I would skip the Lyra... just feels like a product that will not enjoy much support. Do you need four nodes for your space? Some routers can cover "very large homes".

OE

Our house is not that big, it's only 90 square meters and AC68U sits in the middle of the house yet 5GHz can't cover everywhere while 2.4GHz does but it only provides you with around 20-30mbps of download speed while 5GHz gives me ~70mbps which is my actual internet speed from my ISS. So I thought spreading couple mesh nodes would help.

Which routers would you recommend then?

Our house is not that big, it's only 90 square meters and AC68U sits in the middle of the house yet 5GHz can't cover everywhere while 2.4GHz does but it only provides you with around 20-30mbps of download speed while 5GHz gives me ~70mbps which is my actual internet speed from my ISS. So I thought spreading couple mesh nodes would help.

Which routers would you recommend then?

90 sq m = 1000 sq ft

One new router in the middle will replace and fix the AC68U. And you can always add the AC68U as a wired/wireless remote node toward your outside living area or to wire a media center... although it would probably help to spread out the two nodes.

Consider the RT-AC86U... or RT-AX86U, if you have a rational for AX at this time or for its 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet port.

With just the new router, you can try using Smart Connect band steering with the same SSID for both bands. But if you add the AC68U, disable Smart Connect and use different SSIDs per band. The AC68U does not support Smart Connect.

My install notes cover a basic configuration except no AX notes yet.

OE

An RT-AX86U, an RT-AX88U, and even an RT-AC86U would be superior to the router currently in use. Only one needed in that small of an area. Two would give you higher average throughput, but for your current ISP speeds, will be wasted in your space.

With the current prices, I would wait for an RT-AX86U to go on sale again. While the RT-AC86U has the processors, speed, and enough throughput for your current ISP connection, the small price jump (if any) when the RT-AX86U is on sale makes them much less desirable, even if they're still less expensive than the 'AX86U.

Thanks for the update and for testing it so thoroughly before replying! :)