What's new

Why is A to B faster than B to A on a WIRED network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How do they compare to yours??

All I see is Time to Live (TTL) : 128

Those settings are what I use shown above..TTL is set to 64 on all boxes. I haven't ran a test lately. I was testing Firmware 1.11MSBeta39 for DIR-655. Had to remove it since P2P downloads had suffered and wireless drop like it did under 1.20.

What happens when you reboot the DIR-655 not reset just reboot it how does the network perform.

I going to OC my two AP from 200MHz to 225 or 250MHz just don't want to fired the CPU in their. Signal strength increase using dd-wrt.

Reality check

Well, I still have the issue descrribed in the original post, so I am down to two last steps to try"\:

1) On the XP machines, add the DisableTaskOffload ( to 0 or 1 ?? ).... although I dont think this will address the 10 second delay issue.

2) Try to set up Link Layer Topology Discovery on my XP SP3 machines using this

Last edited:
Reality check

Well, I still have the issue descrribed in the original post, so I am down to two last steps to try"\:

1) On the XP machines, add the DisableTaskOffload ( to 0 or 1 ?? ).... although I dont think this will address the 10 second delay issue.

2) Try to set up Link Layer Topology Discovery on my XP SP3 machines using this

0=use the processor or 1(default)=do not use the processor

The one in bold set it to 0

Eek! SP3 why are you using that! Caused me nothing but trouble and Vista and XP doesn't need it to run. Unless you think you really need it. XP2 works with Vista SP1.

Update for me with dd-wrt on my buffalo high power turbo wireless points, now have WPA2 security that was missing in the orginal 1.40 from Buffalo. So that should fix the problem I had with WPA2. dd-wrt is not so easy to flash WHR-HP-G54 finally had to re-write the script for it to work, so one down one more to go.

Last edited:
According to this link, enabling the offloading
1) can improve system performance by offloading tasks to the NIC....so this sounds likes its NOT a network performance tweak, but more of a system CPU tweak.....so per orignal post, I woiuld think my issue is more network related than system related.

2) its dependant on the ability of the network card to handle those tasks...so, this might only be an option on the newer NICS ,not the older one.​

That said, no harm trying it!

According to this link, enabling the offloading
1) can improve system performance by offloading tasks to the NIC....so this sounds likes its NOT a network performance tweak, but more of a system CPU tweak.....so per orignal post, I woiuld think my issue is more network related than system related.

2) its dependant on the ability of the network card to handle those tasks...so, this might only be an option on the newer NICS ,not the older one.​

That said, no harm trying it!

I have that featured enabled on all wired and wireless cards to each PC. So if the laptop or desktop had a slower PC then offload it to the NIC CPU would speed up the network performance. I also have stopped using onboard NIC, to me there slower than using PCI. I don't have PCI-E so can't say much for that.

Do you know your dBi of your ANT gain?

Roughly speaking

0dbm=1mW
10dbm=10mW
18dbm=63mW

63mW is roughly the output power of an average wireless interface card and most manufacturers quote approx 50-100m for 802.11 b/g/n. This distance can vary due to conditions and line of sight (tree's etc will great cut signal)

Again it's not an exact science and you can then loose this signal through cable losses, introduce noise into the signal or increase it's performance (so to speak) through hi-gain antenna's

Let me give you example:

WHR-HP-G54-sm.jpg

WAP1: (wireless access point mode) with dd-wrtv24
Encryption (WPA) (DES)
Frequency in MHz (2400)
Transmit Power(70mW)
Antenna Gain (4dBi)
Total Power (22.451dB)

Connector Loss
No. of Wireless Clients Connected: (1)
Frequency in MHz (2400) (0.155db) = (22.296db)

So for every client connected there will be a connection loss so in this case it's 0.155db.

XP/Vista - (Excellent) 20db or higher
XP/Vista - (Very Good) 10 - 20db

Now using the 2.2dBi in the DIR-655 total power would be (20.296db) with one client connection

Wired connections on gig boxes are quick on the LAN and I ususally back-up images of the PCs have the entire HDD with OS/Program stored on my file server in case of disaster. Prior to using gig 100mb/s base system would take about 15 minutes to create the image full backup. These are wired connections. Now it's 6 mins with the gig. Even less than that like 2-3 ms on the server itself or the other server connects to it 3 ms. Very quick. Now let me give you another example. Wireless G54 full backup images to 100/mb/s server was taking 1 hour and 30 mins. Now with the gig server it only take s 19 mins with 7,200rpms 2.5 HDD.

Well I've been tweaking as you can see to increase the performance change out switches too. Wireless NIC has some strange features, but to get it just right can improve performance.

Last night I was testing out the new firmware from dd-wrt on the AP and the nearby wireless laptop. You can see the performance it's faster now full 70mW and excellent connection with low loss 22db, then again I am using 4dBi high gain ANT. I don't think that makes much of a difference. Still faster I don't have those wireless lag. I going to test WPA2 and see how the performance goes?

Okay using TeraCopy 1.22 I just moved two large folders of MP3 to MY Music which is on the file server. (I use a central location for all my documents) learned that from working in a domain enterprise. So everything goes to the file server.

Tested on AMD 1.6GHz X64-bit / 13:54:11 started -- Completed 13:54:46 - Total: 647MB using Buffer Size: 256kb/s transfer rate 19Mb/s

Last edited:
I added the DisableTaskOffload seeting on a few PCs and it did not solve the main issue I have with my wired computers...still have the scenario where

- On my vista machine (the master browser one), I can instally get to any other XP pc regardless of how I connect to them (ie Start/Network, or Run Command /IP Address, or Shortcut to IP address,

- but on an XP machine, it can take up to 10 full seconds to see the structure beneath the remote PC.​

I could accept that there is some perfromance limitng component somewhere and it just is the way it is..but what I dont understand is, that once I get past the first 10 second delay for a GIVEN machine, there is no further delay to THAT machine, ie , from XP machine PC02,

- list of all worgroup PCs under Entire Network (or Network Places)- instant
- click on say PC03 ; wait 10 seconds for directory contents
- click on say PC07 ; wait 10 seconds for directory contents
- go back to PC03 ; instant
- go back to PC07 ; instant

As well, this bevhaiour exists on ANY machine ..except the vista one.

Sound like its something generic on every XP machine.

All machines are WIRED - this issue has nothing to do with wireless.

So I need to explore this further and try a different tact.

PROBLEM SOLVED

I did some searching re network browsing issues and found this Microsoft KB item and this forum posting and tried the following two suggestions:

Disable searching for scheduled tasks
This Microsoft Knowledge Base article describes a bug in Windows 2000 Professional that might also exist in Windows XP. Disable searching for scheduled tasks by deleting this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\

CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\

{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

Disable the WebClient Service
This might speed up network browsing, but it will prevent access to web-resident network places, such as free disk storage from your ISP.

Right click My Computer and select Manage.
Double click Services and Applications.
Double click Services.
Scroll down the list of services and double click WebClient.
Click the Stop button.
Set the Startup type to Disabled.
Click Apply and OK.​

Everything came alive with those changes, so I'm sticking with them for now. If I need the WebClient Services I will deal with it then.

PROBLEM SOLVED

I did some searching re network browsing issues and found this Microsoft KB item and this forum posting and tried the following two suggestions:

Disable searching for scheduled tasks
This Microsoft Knowledge Base article describes a bug in Windows 2000 Professional that might also exist in Windows XP. Disable searching for scheduled tasks by deleting this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\

CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\

{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

Disable the WebClient Service
This might speed up network browsing, but it will prevent access to web-resident network places, such as free disk storage from your ISP.

Right click My Computer and select Manage.
Double click Services and Applications.
Double click Services.
Scroll down the list of services and double click WebClient.
Click the Stop button.
Set the Startup type to Disabled.
Click Apply and OK.​

Everything came alive with those changes, so I'm sticking with them for now. If I need the WebClient Services I will deal with it then.

Yes that reg command its a bit flaky to use I've tried it then it prior builds. Started doing this enough.

under services.msc
enable/start automatic
SSDP
UPnP

Then under MY Network Places
Show UPnP network devices then all shares will appear and the Xtreme N Gig Router icon also. If you click on it will open the web admin. Also in a bit you'll get Xtreme N Gig now connected in the system tray.

Vista Does it already, but XP nope If you do the above it will now.

Under Network Connections you can change the adapter/provider binding order to the NIC you use first, click on advances the advanced settings. I don't use none of the remote desktop features but I use Ultra VNC Remote desktop instead to manage the servers.

Last edited:
Well I guess you're right I had one wireless laptop acting up where it couldn't
open the My Network Places.. I had created these back in April 2008.

Right way is to create reg files, you'll need two of them One to speedup LAN the other one to unddo speedup LAN.

LAN_SPEEDUP.reg (save as...)

(copy and paste into notepad)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]

undoLAN_SPEEDUP.reg (save as...)

(copy and paste into notepad)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]