What's new

Why is it called "router.asus.com" like it goes online to the internet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

domic

Regular Contributor
My family member got worried about the domain name 'router.asus.com' to access the router, and is worried about his data getting high-jacked.
Why didn't they just use a "router.local" or "router.asus" similar name instead?

First off when why not tell people to use the IP instead? Answer is because most people remember names easier, which why we have DNS to make things easy. From a networking perspective though numbers make more sense as they don't rely on an additional service to get to devices. We still give devices hostnames though to make sure we're in the correct device from a glance.

First off when why not tell people to use the IP instead? Answer is because most people remember names easier, which why we have DNS to make things easy. From a networking perspective though numbers make more sense as they don't rely on an additional service to get to devices. We still give devices hostnames though to make sure we're in the correct device from a glance.
You just answered your own question, not mine. Thanks for the bot answer though I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!