What's new

Why my router's WAN IP is different than my Public IP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smasher7896

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

I just set up some port forwarding rules in my router and then went to https://canyouseeme.org/ to check whether my port was correctly open and that's when I noticed that the public IP address displayed by canyouseeme was different than my WAN IP address that I can see when I log in my router's WEBGUI.

My router says that my WAN IP is: 100.64.XX.XX
Canyousee me sees my Public IP as: 103.217.XXX.XX

-
Does anyone know why this could be happening? Is my ISP running my connection through another proxy of some sort?

- Now the issue is that my port forwarding rules are not working since my router is opening the port to my WAN IP.
I noticed a field named Source IP in the port forwarding settings. Would that be a way around this issue? Can I add my Public IP there?

w5xV1gp.png

Thank you in advance

Your ISP is assigning you a CGNAT address. Port forwarding will not work. Speak to your ISP and ask them to give you a public IP address. Alternatively use IPv6 if your ISP supports it.

Thank you for that, this is I never heard of so thanks for bringing this to my attention.
That's why they are charging an extra $10/month for a fixed IP
I don't need a fixed IP, I'm good with a dynamic IP but it needs to be a public IP. That's something they left out in their service description.

Ok I will reach out to my ISP and see if I can find a solution or change ISP.

For my personal knowledge, do you know what the "source IP" field under the port forwarding configuration is used for?

For my personal knowledge, do you know what the "source IP" field under the port forwarding configuration is used for?
It's for restricting incoming connections to those from specific IP addresses. So if for example you only wanted to allow connections into your home router from your business office, you would enter the IP address of your office as the source. Connection attempts from other IP addresses would be ignored.

It's for restricting incoming connections to those from specific IP addresses. So if for example you only wanted to allow connections into your home router from your business office, you would enter the IP address of your office as the source. Connection attempts from other IP addresses would be ignored.
I see, good to know.
I learned a few things today. Thanks for your help

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!