What's new

Why no network storage on wifi mesh systems?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cosrocket

Regular Contributor
I am curious to know if there is a technical issue with using the usb port for wireless storage on the new crop of mesh and mesh type wifi systems, since non of them incorporate this desirable feature. I would think that one of them would do it just to get a leg up on other brands but from what I've seen the isn't one system that includes this feature.

Could be they keep the CPU busy enough moving packets and managing mesh backhaul.

Is this a deal-breaker for you?

Nope, I got the Orbi and I'm lovin' it but I did have to get a NAS where an external HD plugged into the usb port for network storage would have been fine for my purposes.

Could be they keep the CPU busy enough moving packets and managing mesh backhaul.

Dropping in USB storage and other features just increases the QA and Dev burden...

eero, orbi, luma (and other mesh plays) is a different market segment than the traditional BHR segment... most of the customers there probably don't care about having a NAS like function...

My experience was call it a disaster. I purchased the Luma 3 pack and the series of events afterwards showed me there is no need for this extra piece of equipment(Which is Plastic, great more Plastic). The set-up took too long, after that ordeal then the Oh so Great coverage is marketing fluff. 1/2 of the features they say are in the product are not there it is vaporware. Lots of promises half of them are real. My kids who are young even asked why did you buy this dada. I then disconnected it, boxed it up and returned it. Waste of my time, effort and money even though I got a full refund. There is no market need for this, it is another gadget that people are made to think will make your internet faster, safer, and broader coverage. Guess what the routers of today work and will always work. Luma is heading for Duma.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!