What's new

Why separate SSIDs for IoT devices?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, I have Merlin inside my AC86U. The technique above uses iptables statements that are only available via the CLI. I know the current GUI does not support VLANs. But if I could create a br3 and add IP addrs to it, then using the technique above, I could accomplish the same isolation as with VLANs. And while I believe you that VLANs are easy with FreshTomato, I'd hate to move away from Merlin, so I'm looking for a technique that works with that f/w.

There's probably a post in these forums that offers that option.

FWIW, I happen (coincidentally) to be working on a script for the AC68U that supports the creation of VLANs, bridges, etc. Even the ability to add any of the physically APs and VAPs (guest networks) to those same bridges. I'll be releasing it within the next few days as a tutorial in the Merlin forum. But given VLANs are hardware dependent, it "officially" only supports the AC68U, but I strongly suspect it would support many other AC routers, like yours. I just have no means to verify it. If you're interested, I can provide a link for a sneak-peek (I could use some more beta testers anyway). If it works for you, we can add the AC86U to the compatibility list I'm developing.

My tutorial will provide more guidance about installation and how to use it. I'm hoping by just seeing it you *may* be able to figure it out for yourself. Also, realize it's still a WIP (work in progress) and is constantly being updated until it's release (currently beta 3). So while it seems to work well at this point, I can't guarantee no issues.

Last edited: