What's new

Wi-Fi Alliance 802.11n Certification Change Complicates Consumer Choices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zjohnr

Regular Contributor
Link to original article:
Wi-Fi Alliance 802.11n Certification Change Complicates Consumer Choices, July 23, 2009

While there was no "Discuss this in the Forums" link at the bottom of this article, I figured "What the heck?" :eek:

Coming late to the game and lacking any real insight into the workings of the Wi-Fi Alliance certification process, my superficial impression from this announcement is that, sadly, it is primarily a marketing tool.

The very least I would expect is that the products are required to complete any new certification steps added to the process that may apply to the older product. But apparently the point is not to ensure the products meet some minimum standard as to maximize sales while minimizing production costs. At least IMHO. :mad:

I guess the best way to summarize just how cynical my outlook became after reading this news is to mention that I thought the following "related" article was totally serious until I noticed the date it was posted. :rolleyes:
Wi-Fi Alliance Declares Draft 802.11n Certification Amnesty, April 01, 2008

Who would have thought that only a few months more than a year after that April Fools joke that life would be parodying satire? :eek:

-irrational john

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!