What's new

Wi-Fi channels - the ongoing debate?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I thought we were talking about noise levels and not the transmit/receive power. The dB readings work the opposite way to each other (in terms of signal quality), depending on which you are applying them to.

Your discussion was WiFi ch and bw settings and how to evaluate results.. results displayed in the Wireless Log like noise dBm and RSSI dBm... less negative is stronger power/signal.

dBm is a measure of power, not quality... the measured power could be all noise (poor quality).

OE

Your discussion was WiFi ch and bw settings and how to evaluate results.. results displayed in the Wireless Log like noise dBm and RSSI dBm... less negative is stronger power/signal.

dBm is a measure of power, not quality... the measured power could be all noise (poor quality).

OE
Thanks for explaining. Makes sense.

OE
But surely the amount of noise is shown in the Wireless Log, where the more negative the value, the better the signal to noise ratio and hence quality of the transmission overall.
Screenshot - 01_03_2023 , 12_23_11.jpg

But surely the amount of noise is shown in the Wireless Log, where the more negative the value, the better the signal to noise ratio and hence quality of the transmission overall.
View attachment 48251

The 'quality of the transmission overall' depends on low noise AND a good WiFi signal... low noise alone is not enough. I know you know this. :)

OE

The 'quality of the transmission overall' depends on low noise AND a good WiFi signal... low noise alone is not enough. I know you know this. :)

OE
Spot on.

The dB readings work the opposite way to each other (in terms of signal quality), depending on which you are applying them to.
Really, it is just like a thermometer. Above zero, larger numbers are warmer. Below zero, smaller digits ("less negative") are warmer.

Really, it is just like a thermometer. Above zero, larger numbers are warmer. Below zero, smaller digits ("less negative") are warmer.
Except that you are dealing with two values here and how they relate to each other. So you need the lowest decibel (most negative) reading for the noise and the highest decibel level (less negative) for the signal strength, which is why I said they effectively work in opposite ways.

If you want to hear one person (the signal) they have to be markedly louder than the crowd (the noise). Lower negative dB is louder.

So you need the lowest decibel (most negative) reading for the noise and the highest decibel level (less negative) for the signal strength, which is why I said they effectively work in opposite ways.
Still just like a thermometer. -5 degrees is warmer than -10 degrees. That's why the phrase "least negative" is useful.

Still just like a thermometer. -5 degrees is warmer than -10 degrees. That's why the phrase "least negative" is useful.
Well if you want to stick to one terminology only, least negative is better for the signal strength and worse for the noise level.

Not really sure why people are making it complex.

Higher signal strength/RSSI is better
Lower noise is better
Higher SNR is better

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!