What's new

Wi-Fi Signal Strength RT-AC86U v RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I went back to 384.12 (rock solid) as i had drops on 5ghz on 384.14 and 384.15 on a ac86u.

I think its software (SDK drivers) related rather than hardware.

Operating the AX88U@384.14 I noticed these days that my devices aren't connecting properly to the 5 GHz band. No matter what, they only connect to 2,4 GHz band;)
But after briefly deactivating the 5GHz radio via the user interface and re-activating it, my devices start to connect to the 5GHz band and they stay connected. What a mess.

Since we have some disagreements on here that there is a problem with the 2.4ghz band I have done some further testing which will hopefully prove the point. I've also now finally had Asus admit there appears to be a problem, although doing so has been painful up until this point, and they haven't yet indicated what they are going to do about it.

Anyway, I have purchased an AX56U to act as an aimesh node, removed the Wi-Fi extension cable and reconnected the antenna directly to my AX88U acting as the main router. The AX56U is in the shed in exactly the same place where I had previously attached my external antenna (i.e. in the garden shed outside).

I have attached to this post two screen shots of the various Wi-Fi ssid in my area, one showing the 2.4Ghz band and the other the 5ghz band for reference. Both of these were taken whilst sat on my sofa at 3 metres distance with absolutely no obstacles of any kind between myself and the AX88U. My SSID are called 'Outram 2.4G' and 'Outram 5G'.

In the 2.4G screen shot the red 'Outram 2.4G' is from the AX88U and the grey 'Outram 2.4G' is from the AX56U. You will notice from this that despite having to pass through two brick walls my neighbour's wifi in blue and the one in pink are virtually the same strength as the one coming from my AX88U. The AX56U is behind a solid brick wall and the wall of the shed (plastic) and is providing almost as strong a signal. The 5Ghz band from the other screen shot is also much stronger than the 2.4ghz signal, the orange 'Outram 5G' here is the signal from the AX88U.

Remember both of these are taken in exactly the same place, with all antennas attached as they are supposed to be, and yet the 2.4ghz signal is very poor. Prior to this my signal would be around -30 and not the -65 that it currently sits at. The 5ghz signal at this distance is -45. There is definitely a problem with the close source wi-fi drivers in this build on the 2.4ghz band!

Edit - the AX88u is running 384.15 firmware during this test.

Impressive... but I was observing the same "weak" 2,4ghz signal... although others seem to denie it.

My question is now - until asus get this fixed (if that ever happens) - which firmware is acutally the best "blend" of both signals. I red .12, .13 and .14 ... so - If I want a good 2.4ghz signal (in range) AND a quite good 5ghz signal for my .ax devices... any advice?

thanks!

Impressive... but I was observing the same "weak" 2,4ghz signal... although others seem to denie it.

My question is now - until asus get this fixed (if that ever happens) - which firmware is acutally the best "blend" of both signals. I red .12, .13 and .14 ... so - If I want a good 2.4ghz signal (in range) AND a quite good 5ghz signal for my .ax devices... any advice?

thanks!
I use 384.13 and is rock solid, with 384.14 I couldn't turn off PMF which cause issues for me (very slow wi-fi speed even with strong signal), with 384.13 I was able turn off PMF and all nice and smooth. Router is asus rt-ax88u.

thanks!

I was using the 384.14 before and that didn't have issues with signal strength for me, although I think the 384.13 is perhaps a little more stable.

Thanks for the update @Phil Outram Your pictures don't demonstrate one way or the other your theory that only one antenna is being used. For that I think you'd have to do the dummy load tests I suggested in post #55. But to be honest that's a moot point as there's clearly a software issue and knowing the precise details isn't going to change anything. From what you've said it sounds like Asus are at least aware of the problem now.

Indeed moot point now, but my theory is based on the simple fact that the removal of the one antenna results in a complete loss of the 2.4ghz band. Based in this is seems pretty obvious to me that only that antenna transmits it.

I replied to Asus late last night (uk time) with the same set of screen shots I posted here, lets see what they come back with in the next day or so. It's been painful up until this point and even getting them to perform simple tests is proving difficult, but I'll not give in until we get somewhere.

explain to me why there is no signal outside of my home with this version but there is with everything prior to this? I have tried the extension cable on every single port and the only one that produces a signal is the one closest to port 8. Prior to this any port can be used without a problem.

I am actually using the included antenna as well, just one is at the end of a 4 meter extension cable. Even with all 4 antenna attached directly to the router signal strength is lower than before to the point the 5ghz radio is stronger. .

I will give your request a shot. It is only a theory. The theory is the earlier code was faulty and transmitters were running at full power on all antennae regardless of heating, impedance, standing wave ratios and whatever else etc. Lets say they updated the code to fix that oversight that the FCC might fine them on. Very likely scenario on a new product rushed out the door.

An RF engineer will tell you that you just cannot throw in a random cable into the middle of a tuned array that depends on identical antennae and impedance to work. All antenna must be tuned identically to the exact wavelength in use or there will be signal loss (or if the system is smart enough it will shut down the transmitter to avoid damage if the SWR is severe enough). Nor can you remove one antenna in a tuned system and expect it to keep working, that is another type of impedance mismatch and possible source of RF interference that would run afoul of regulations.

In the meantime you have created a kluge with a 4 meter extension cable on one RF port introducing an impedance mismatch of biblical proportions versus other antennae and other issues on a router with the old code running. Yes it sort of worked with the old code but probably not as the FCC requires. Now with the corrected code the system correctly senses an impedance mismatch on the 2.4 Ghz antennas and backs off on the output power to avoid overheating, failure, spurious out of band transmissions, warranty claim, lawsuits and whatever else.

The correct solution would be to run a 4m ethernet cable or POE cable from an asus lan port to your shed and use an old router as a switch/AP rather than as a router. Turn off the old router's DHCP, set a local ip address and plug the cable at the shed end into a LAN port not a wan port on the old router.

If you still want to pursue this adventure with the RF cable it would be helpful to pull out an antenna design book and calculate the exact number of full wavelengths at the middle of the 2.4 GHz band on the cable to the shed and cut the cable to that exact length. At these frequencies mm matter. In addition to increase the probability of this working I am going to say that you need to have exactly identical extension cables on ALL 2.4 GHz antennae to keep the system balanced, but my guess is that the mere addition of an extension will mess up some fancy advanced RF reception feature never mind the transmitter.

Or you could just run the old code. :)

I will give your request a shot. It is only a theory. The theory is the earlier code was faulty and transmitters were running at full power on all antennae regardless of heating, impedance, standing wave ratios and whatever else etc. Lets say they updated the code to fix that oversight that the FCC might fine them on. Very likely scenario on a new product rushed out the door.

An RF engineer will tell you that you just cannot throw in a random cable into the middle of a tuned array that depends on identical antennae and impedance to work. All antenna must be tuned identically to the exact wavelength in use or there will be signal loss (or if the system is smart enough it will shut down the transmitter to avoid damage if the SWR is severe enough). Nor can you remove one antenna in a tuned system and expect it to keep working, that is another type of impedance mismatch and possible source of RF interference that would run afoul of regulations.

In the meantime you have created a kluge with a 4 meter extension cable on one RF port introducing an impedance mismatch of biblical proportions versus other antennae and other issues on a router with the old code running. Yes it sort of worked with the old code but probably not as the FCC requires. Now with the corrected code the system correctly senses an impedance mismatch on the 2.4 Ghz antennas and backs off on the output power to avoid overheating, failure, spurious out of band transmissions, warranty claim, lawsuits and whatever else.

The correct solution would be to run a 4m ethernet cable or POE cable from an asus lan port to your shed and use an old router as a switch/AP rather than as a router. Turn off the old router's DHCP, set a local ip address and plug the cable at the shed end into a LAN port not a wan port on the old router.

If you still want to pursue this adventure with the RF cable it would be helpful to pull out an antenna design book and calculate the exact number of full wavelengths at the middle of the 2.4 GHz band on the cable to the shed and cut the cable to that exact length. At these frequencies mm matter. In addition to increase the probability of this working I am going to say that you need to have exactly identical extension cables on ALL 2.4 GHz antennae to keep the system balanced, but my guess is that the mere addition of an extension will mess up some fancy advanced RF reception feature never mind the transmitter.

Or you could just run the old code. :)

All well and good, but if you check a few posts up you'll notice the signal strength is degraded even with all 4 antennas attached in the manner to which Asus intended.

There are plenty of clever sounding theories on here, but facts is facts, and the signal is much weaker on the 2.4ghz band from 384.15 or later. No amount of elaborate sounding theories is going to change that simple fact.

You might be right but I think it's far more likely to be as simple as it appears. Asus have indicated to me they changed something with MU-MIMO in this release because 'it wasn't working correctly', so I'd put money on them having screwed it up in their attempts to fix MU-MIMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: ksa
OK, just for comparison I am about to swap my AC88U to an AX88U (mainly because ports 5-8 fail intermittently) so attached are a couple of screen shots of both the AC88U and AX88U running together - one with 384.13 and one with 384.15 AC88U on .15 for both. The AX88U is a 2019 manufactured in China H/W rev A1 and is the Asus_58 SSIDs, the AC88U is the redacted one. 2.4GHz looking a bit feeble on 384.15 on the AX88U:eek:

Attachments

• AX88U_384_13_.jpg
    AX88U_384_13_.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 275
  • AX88U_384_15_.jpg
    AX88U_384_15_.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 260
I have version A1.1 with canadian region and in my test with all four external antennas attached, I have observed difference of 15 dbm between 384.14 and 384.15, later one cause loss of power on 2.4 ghz. Their is definitely driver change and seem it is causing issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: ksa
@Hawk, did the throughput change?

I have version A1.1 with canadian region and in my test with all four external antennas attached, I have observed difference of 15 dbm between 384.14 and 384.15, later one cause loss of power on 2.4 ghz. Their is definitely driver change and seem it is causing issues.

I have version A 1.0 with asia / asus nz signal Strength was low on 384.14 : 384 15 has come up on 384:16 alpha

How much of a hit did the range take?

How much of a hit did the range take?
It is hard to come up with accurate answer, however with router being roughly 28 feet away from client, with one drywall and closest with mirror doors signal strength is -55 on 384.15, with same situation and variable on 384.14 it is -40dbm. Due to nature of radio waves and physics I will say loss of strength for me is roughly 35 to 40 percent coverage lost.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!