What's new

Wi-Fi Signal Strength RT-AC86U v RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Ninko I suspect my unit AX88U had bad antennas or soldering. Cause when I disconnected antennas it made no difference in signal strenght on 2,4.
I remember that, it was the same thing for me. Disconnecting antenna's did not make any difference in signal strength on 2,4 GHz. In fact i could not make out which antenna was for 2,4 GHz.

"Let alone let us know which router you're talking about."

What router do you think I'm referring to, how many pages has this thread been going on for?...

Well, in this thread, many different routers have been compared. In the thread title, there are two.

So, which one is yours?

Not that I'm particularly interested in helping you with your current attitude, but possibly others may. :rolleyes:

Well, in this thread, many different routers have been compared. In the thread title, there are two.

So, which one is yours?

Not that I'm particularly interested in helping you with your current attitude, but possibly others may. :rolleyes:
Help? I don't suspect you've helped anyone throughout this thread, all you've done is state how great YOUR router is and completely putting anyone else down who didn't agree with YOU.

What can I say then? You're hopelessly biased.

Nobody can be guaranteed to be able to help at any one time or for any possible issue. I do what I can.

Keep searching for the easy answers that fit your limited world view.

Or maybe you can open your mind to the possibly that there might be a problem with this router...

Reactions: ksa
Or maybe you can just read what I've written and not infer the opposite?

Whatever, I haven't got time for people like you. You don't happen to work in customer service do you? Your about as useful.

I'm positively sure that something is wrong with the 2.4Ghz signal in the AX88U.
I purchased this router to replace a Netgear R7000 mainly for the sake of having better control over the traffic so my clients won't hog my limited upload bandwidth and thus hog the whole internet connectivity.
This part of the AX88U works fine, together with the bandwidth visibility and the rest of the very useful GUI and CLI capabilities.
I'm running Merlin 384.18 and I noticed that my 2.4Ghz reception is much much lower than my R7000, especially when moving 2 rooms away from the router. At such a distance my multiple clients often disconnect?!?!
Shouldn't this router support a normal 100 square meters apartment? An apartment which the Netgear R7000 serviced perfectly in terms of WiFi reception, and from the same exact location.
Checking with WiFi Analyzer at 1 meter from the routers I get -25 with my R7000 and -45 with my AX88U. Moving to my bedroom I get -68 with the R7000 and -86 and even disappearing signal with my AX88U.
Both routers are located one besides the other.
Anyone else feeling like backing Asus up in this (funny how the ones showing the proofs for the problem are the "biased" ones)?

I'm positively sure that something is wrong with the 2.4Ghz signal in the AX88U.
I purchased this router to replace a Netgear R7000 mainly for the sake of having better control over the traffic so my clients won't hog my limited upload bandwidth and thus hog the whole internet connectivity.
This part of the AX88U works fine, together with the bandwidth visibility and the rest of the very useful GUI and CLI capabilities.
I'm running Merlin 384.18 and I noticed that my 2.4Ghz reception is much much lower than my R7000, especially when moving 2 rooms away from the router. At such a distance my multiple clients often disconnect?!?!
Shouldn't this router support a normal 100 square meters apartment? An apartment which the Netgear R7000 serviced perfectly in terms of WiFi reception, and from the same exact location.
Checking with WiFi Analyzer at 1 meter from the routers I get -25 with my R7000 and -45 with my AX88U. Moving to my bedroom I get -68 with the R7000 and -86 and even disappearing signal with my AX88U.
Both routers are located one besides the other.
Anyone else feeling like backing Asus up in this (funny how the ones showing the proofs for the problem are the "biased" ones)?

This is an AC forum.

If you are convinced your new AX router's 2.4 radio is not operating as it should, return it. Trying to debate it online isn't going to fix it.

OE

This is an AC forum.

This is a thread about RT-AX88U 2.4GHz performance issues after firmware update. No need to be rude to people who report the same issue over and over again. Why didn't you follow your own advice and return/replace the RT-AC86U routers? Instead you flashed multiple firmware versions and generated multiple posts about what is working and what not on your AiMesh setup. Why did you roll back 3 firmware versions?

This is a thread about RT-AX88U 2.4GHz performance issues after firmware update. No need to be rude to people who report the same issue over and over again. Why didn't you follow your own advice and return/replace the RT-AC86U routers? Instead you flashed multiple firmware versions and generated multiple posts about what is working and what not on your AiMesh setup. Why did you roll back 3 firmware versions?

This remains an AC forum. New AX issues will get more visibility in the AX forum. Any AX owners with similar radio issues are more likely reading there. Edit: Also might consider posting in the Asuswrt-Merlin forum, if the firmware is suspect.

The poster I replied to wanted to debate his AX radio issue. I accept he has a radio issue. Given it is a new router, I think he should return it... no debate required.

My new 86Us... seven of them, have all worked perfectly fine out of the box. Subsequent firmware upgrades introduced new issues (AiMesh-related) as is well known to happen, but they have never noticeably varied the broadcast power/range of the WiFi radios which have been the best I've owned so far.

I rolled back one firmware version for an unrelated issue.

OE

Last edited:
This remains an AC forum.

Duplicate the same thread in both AC and AX forums, perhaps? Apparently you haven't read the posts above. The issue came to light after specific firmware update. What about firmware roll-back option? This is what you did. You found something broken on your RT-AC86U routers after firmware 81858. What about new RT-AC86U users with routers coming with >81858? No debate required, just send it back? :rolleyes:

I don't understand this "part of the furniture" behavior. If a new user posts the same issue in another forum, he'll be send to search because a thread already exists. If a new user posts in that very same thread, he'll be told the forum is wrong.

Last edited:
Duplicate the same thread in both AC and AX forums, perhaps? Apparently you haven't read the posts above. The issue came to light after specific firmware update. What about firmware roll-back option? This is what you did. You found something broken on your RT-AC86U routers after firmware 81858. What about new RT-AC86U users with routers coming with >81858? No debate required, just send it back? :rolleyes:

If it is new and the radio(s) are unsatisfactorily weak, yes, return it. Although you might want to put stock firmware back on it first to be sure before going off half cocked.

If AX/Merlin has a firmware issue, it is best discovered in those forums... that is what they are for. Jumping into this thread just to say me too and to poke fun at certain well-meaning participants serves no purpose.

OE

Merlin firmware has nothing to do here. It's the Asus base with updated wireless drivers. Giving advice to someone else about an issue you know nothing about servers no purpose either. @Tame posted in the right thread and his observations are spot on. Both router and community behavior. :eek:

Merlin firmware has nothing to do here. It's the Asus base with updated wireless drivers. Giving advice to someone else about an issue you know nothing about servers no purpose either. @Tame posted in the right thread and his observations are spot on. Both router and community behavior. :eek:

This mistitled thread has been debating AX88U radio performance in the wrong forum since February. I accept there is a problem. If I had the problem, I would have returned or mothballed the router, not go online and argue about it for 6 months. If you believe it's a firmware defect, you can sit tight and wait for a firmware solution that is slow in coming. What else do I need to know about the issue to advise common sense.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!