What's new

Wide ads

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark Uhde

Regular Contributor
The new, wide ad banners make the forums almost impossible to comfortably browse with 1024px browser width. Advertising is needed, but these wide ads just make the site unpleasant to use. Just an idea :)

Adblock my friend - not a user problem - a site manager and content provider problem :)

Adblock my friend - not a user problem - a site manager and content provider problem :)

That's not really fair to the site owner. There wouldn't be sites like this if most people blocked ads, everything on the Internet would cost money. This is a great site, especially for the test data it has, and I have clicked more than a couple ads on here when the product interests me. Advertising is a really fair trade-off for good, free content. Just... I wish they'd get rid of the wide banners on the forums pushing everything to the very left of the page. They weren't there a week ago. The wide ad of the moment is a Dell ad... it was something else earlier (I forgot what).

Agreed to some extent - ads are ok, as long as they don't interfere with the site usage - the Dell Wide Ad that you mention definitely impacts your usage...

I've actually stopped going to some sites due to onerous ad policies, pop-ups, etc...

Google's text based ads are good for the site operator and the users...

Agreed to some extent - ads are ok, as long as they don't interfere with the site usage - the Dell Wide Ad that you mention definitely impacts your usage...

I've actually stopped going to some sites due to onerous ad policies, pop-ups, etc...

Google's text based ads are good for the site operator and the users...

And that was my point, the wide ads (which went away and are back again on here) make the site basically unusable on a netbook and uncomfortable on my Macbook Pro 13" unless I stretch the window to the full width.

Hi guys,

Just found this thread. In the future, if you have an issue like this, you can email me directly via comments@smallnetbuilder.com or PM me. I can't always keep up on all the threads, especially new ones where I'm not auto-subscribed.

This was not intentional. We just tracked down the problem and fixed it. Seems to be related to a problem with webkit based browsers. I encountered it on my iPad when viewing the site in desktop mode.

I try to keep the ads on SNB as un-annoying as possible and will not allow pop-unders or overs. I do allow the overlay ads because they pay at the highest rates. They are limited so that you should see only one or two a day at most. They don't bother me much because the adserver is so slow I can kill them before they completely load! :)

If you want to support SNB, the best thing is to click on the Amazon links and buy anything.