What's new

WiFi 6 router for vpn

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JobbyChops

New Around Here
I'm planning on upgrading my router and installing a VPN on it (probably Nord)

All the recommended routers from them (and express VPN & web articles) list AC routers (and usually old ones)

If I'm upgrading, I might as well go to AX. If I went for something like Asus rt-ax86u I assume it would happily work with OpenVPn but is this a disadvantage vs. the VPN companies' proprietary protocols?

Can anyone recommend a model? (preferably not the crazy expensive ones!)

Thanks

OVPN vs WG (Nordlynx)

I setup a DIY router out of a PC and there's a huge difference in speeds vs consumer grade routers.

OVPN on a gigabit plan maxes @ 600mbps
WG can hit wire speed and beyond. Highest test server 1500mbps.

Things you can do DIY with it being modular in design is swap things like an AP that's AX or AX-E and leave the rest alone. AX AP's run ~$160-$225 depending on the brand. AX-E has a Netgear model selling currently @ $360 w/ coupon/tax/shipping.

Ultimately it comes down to the ISP Speed / how much effort you want to put into it.

I appreciate this would be the optimal technical solution. Unfortunately, it needs to sit in the lounge and there is no way I'd get even a mini PC past the wife approval gate. I was pushing it to get the router in public view!

Well if you have an existing router then you could just pick up an AP to hook into it for WIFI6 / 6E and save some $. I use the Zyxel NWA210AX and it's flawless with the most recent FW upgrade.

1648056049809.png

With the 2.5GE port connected I can hit internal speeds up to 1.5gbps and coverage is corner to corner in 1300sq ft and then some.

If I'm upgrading, I might as well go to AX. If I went for something like Asus rt-ax86u I assume it would happily work with OpenVPn but is this a disadvantage vs. the VPN companies' proprietary protocols?

There are a handful of VPN providers providing their own firmware for various ASUS routers (NordVPN, ExpresssVPN, etc.). The primary advantage at the moment is support for WG, and perhaps ease of configuration. But if you put those aside for the moment, I don't generally recommend that approach. It just doesn't make sense to me to have one specific application driving your firmware decisions. In some cases, the VPN provider's firmware might not be much of an advantage anyway. With a router like the RT-AX86U and using either oem/stock or Merlin, I would imagine 200Mbps w/ an OpenVPN client would be easily possible, assuming your ISP and VPN provider offer that much bandwidth. IOW, concerns for higher throughout assume availability. But you've provided no information in this regard.

Asus rx-ac86u.

Good router but its missing some protocol for vpns forget the name

This is not a valid Asus router model. RT-AC68U or RT-AC86U?

What's the ISP speed and what VPN speed expectations do you have?

Are you planning to run all network VPN or some devices through VPN only?

What the VPN connection will be used for mostly?

There are a handful of VPN providers providing their own firmware for various ASUS routers (NordVPN, ExpresssVPN, etc.). The primary advantage at the moment is support for WG, and perhaps ease of configuration. But if you put those aside for the moment, I don't generally recommend that approach. It just doesn't make sense to me to have one specific application driving your firmware decisions. In some cases, the VPN provider's firmware might not be much of an advantage anyway. With a router like the RT-AX86U and using either oem/stock or Merlin, I would imagine 200Mbps w/ an OpenVPN client would be easily possible, assuming your ISP and VPN provider offer that much bandwidth. IOW, concerns for higher throughout assume availability. But you've provided no information in this regard.