What's new

WiFi 6 - When to make the move?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChrisF60526

Occasional Visitor
Hi all - Help me understand something. I am trying to figure out what the best time and what the advantage is to wifi 6.

My current situation is: AT&T 1GB fiber, Asus RT-AC68U as my primary router. I have an ASUS RT-AC66U hardwired in as an AP. My speeds are pretty good. I can hit around 380-400 Mbps off a wireless client (iPhone 12, Ipad etc). Wifi sweetspots give me a transfer speed of around 300-400 MBps as well.

My question is is what advantage would going to a Wifi 6 router give me if any? Right now, I can't imagine it would make any real difference in this kind of setup.

Thanks in advance!

You would be imagining wrong. :)

RT-AX88U Upgrade https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.60037/page-31#post-531024

And that link is comparing an RT-AC86U to the RT-AX88U.

I'm currently running 2x RT-AX86U's in wired backhaul (2.5GbE) AiMesh mode which offers an even more responsive network with great coverage for both the main and the Guest wireless (Thank you AiMesh v2.0).

Even an older router that I wouldn't recommend anymore would be an upgrade on your network too.

RT-AC3100 Report https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

With all the above said though if your current setup is working well for you, start saving for the next Wi-Fi 6E standard which (on an ideal model) will be offering true three radio and three-band performance for the first time ever in a consumer router. I am hoping for something with at least 8 antennae to fully leverage the radios inside.

When will this be ready for mass consumption? Best guesses put it sometime during summer 2021, at the earliest. Lots of time to save!

I would wait until the new models become stable and reliable (in the expected timeframe, above) before purchasing. And even then, the decision will still be between the proven RT-AX86U (or its successor, by then) which will be cheaper too, or the new Wi-Fi 6E models with the upgraded performance.

What am I expecting from the new Wi-Fi 6E models? I am expecting the wired performance that I'm getting now with 2x RT-AX86U's in AiMesh mode, to be equaled and surpassed, without wires in an AiMesh tri-radio Wi-Fi 6E network.

Let the saving and the waiting, begin. :)

If you are happy with what you have, stick with it. If you have older devices an AX router could be incompatible with some of them.

Better to wait until 6E becomes more mainstream AND you have 6E devices. The new channels should be quieter, at least to start, with less battling for airtime with other networks.

WiFi 6 will be ready for adoption around the time WiFi 7 is released.

Chasing the latest tech buys into accelerated planned obsolescence. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I just upgraded from an ac66u_b1 to a refurbished ax58u. the wifi range is phenomenal on it . it changed my poor signal to my front doorbell to a good signal. I also have a couple wifi 6 mobile devices that will supposedly use less battery. But like others said if your network is working good probably no reason to upgrade yet. I really didn't have to and wouldn't have if I didn't get a good price on the router.

The Wi-Fi 'number' isn't what I buy when I upgrade to a better router. I buy it because it performs better.

With the reasoning above, now is the time to buy Wi-Fi 5 class equipment. :oops:

In the networks that can use it (high-speed ISP, both, up/down, ability to run 160MHz width, etc., or, just someone wanting a lower latency connection to the 'net), whether they have equivalent class client devices or not, the routers not only offer the latest Wi-Fi class but also upgraded hardware and RF design too that deals better with modern/current wireless issues and thus extends range, throughput, offers lower latency or all these benefits too.

Something doesn't need to break for it to be improved. Nor does it need years and years of testing either before we consider adopting it.

When we upgrade because we can, there is also a higher chance of being able to sell the equipment we won't use anymore too. The 'new' then becomes not only affordable but also almost required, to maximize the performance of our network for a (usually) very small 'upgrade' price indeed.

Eggs don't begin broken either, but good things come from fixing them afterward. :)

I'd like to meet some of those people, maybe you can introduce me to them someday?

The second last paragraph bears repeating here.

"When we upgrade because we can, there is also a higher chance of being able to sell the equipment we won't use anymore too. The 'new' then becomes not only affordable but also almost required, to maximize the performance of our network for a (usually) very small 'upgrade' price indeed."

I'd like to meet some of those people, maybe you can introduce me to them someday?

The second last paragraph bears repeating here.

"When we upgrade because we can, there is also a higher chance of being able to sell the equipment we won't use anymore too. The 'new' then becomes not only affordable but also almost required, to maximize the performance of our network for a (usually) very small 'upgrade' price indeed."

you're one of those people lol

can you tell me where to sell my old router? Cause I don't know anyone who wants to buy it.

I may see many customers each week. For some, I offer to give them a fair discount on my services or towards their new network hardware, for their pristine 'older' router(s).

For your Asus router? With all the issues you have with all except the least expensive/refurbished models? No offer. I guess I am one of those people who doesn't want it either too. :)

@ChrisF60526 - Focusing on specifically answering your question here.

First off, do remember, Wifi 6 is more about gains in efficiency at scale than it is throughput per client (the one thing the average consumer looks for the most). That being understood, it's highly unlikely Wifi 6 will offer any real-world improvements for you, at least not until the bulk of your client population is AX-only. Even then, the items most required, namely OFDMA, symmetric MU-MIMO and target-wake-timing (TWT), probably still won't be enabled or usable in the vast majority of APs and clients (and many might argue for the life of the spec). The only benefits you might see today would be up to 2X the throughput in 2.4Ghz for AX clients only and up to 2X the 5Ghz throughput if you're able to use 160Mhz channel width (often tough due to airspace restrictions and/or saturation). For more on the specifics of what you can expect from Wifi 6, and an excellent grounding on the priciples of wifi in general, see this awesome Duckware article, specifically section 11 (Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) 5 GHz (HE: High Efficiency).

Those are the differences on the wifi spec alone. That's it. That's all. Beyond that, any supposed "benefits" tend to be attributed to items that, especially in the consumer space, are often combined with AX wifi, but are not wholly exclusive to it -- I'm talking about faster CPUs, beefier switches, better board designs, better firmware, etc. In other words, there might be plenty of reasons to upgrade to AX-class Asus hardware, but Wifi 6 on its own isn't really one of them, despite the portrayal by those who may be less familiar with or just glossing over what is going on from a pure wifi perspective alone.

Per @thiggins reply, you'd probably be best off saving for Wifi 6E gear, which will offer actual new spectrum (and require new radio hardware for it). That being said, 6Ghz will be even less interference-tolerant than 5Ghz, probably best for in-room and/or line-of-sight applications only, ie. a substitute for a short-distance wire, so you'll want to plan for it accordingly when the time comes.

An additional consideration when it comes time for a hardware upgrade would be a move to SMB/community-grade discrete components (ie. separate router, switch(es) and APs), which, beyond and above consumer hardware, would offer PoE, native VLAN awareness and utility-grade runtime straight out-of-the-box. This would be your go-to gear if you wanted to centrally distribute power with data, increase your skill set and/or just wanted a more appliance-like network. Short of any of that, though, I'm sure the next round of Asus hardware (with Merlin firmware) would suffice well enough.

Hope that helps give you some perspective.

Last edited:
I wonder how many channels will be available? Hoping I can buy a 6e model in a few years with all the US 6ghz channels. There is a lot. I'm thinking some of the cheaper routers will start with UNNI-5 which are what Europe is offering and leave it at that. Just got the ax58u with the DFS channels and it's my most liked feature about the unit giving I live in congested wifi space. If all new clients support the DFS channels I'm good for the foreseeable future and will buy a 6e router more for fun than needed utility. So far only my 1st generation cube is the only client that doesn't support dfs. My wife's 5 year phone, 2nd gen cube and everything else work fine with it.

I heard AX is better with a weak signal and I was thinking that despite 6ghz being a slight worse at penetrating objects that we wouldn't tend to notice the difference over 5ghz due to AX having these improvements.

I wonder how many channels will be available?
The effective # of channels depends on the bandwidth you use. This post lays out details on 6E channels.

The new bands are grouped into U-NII-5, 6, 7 and 8. Here's a channel map, courtesy of LitePoint.
litepoint_6e_channelmaps.png
Folks in the E.U. may not be as excited about 6E, since they only gain access to the U-NII-5 channels. Consumer routers will observe the Low Power limit rules, which require integrated, i.e. non detachable, antennas.

Thanks for the replies. That kind of lines up with my thinking. Sure, over 5ghz AC wireless, my iPhone 12 Pro is hitting ~400 MB/s and that's just fine. I picked up a used ASUS 68U and created a mesh network. Based on the replies here and my own research, it looks better to wait for 6E.

BTW, this is not about chasing the latest (still running a pair of RT-68U's). Also, I hate the term if it "ain't broke don't fix it". Things can always be improved on.

Wifi 6E is going to be revolutionary for Mesh networking for those users utilizing Wifi for backhaul. The main justifications for Wifi 6 right now is for users who are having issues with their older hardware or if they are seeking to maximize their internet and Wifi performance right now with the newer and improved Wifi 6 supported router hardware... for online gaming, streaming, etc..

If you have a Wifi network that you are happy with at this time as it seems you do then you can afford to wait... so in your circumstance you are making a good decision. The newer Asus hardware should continue to improve and impress over the next year or two. We all look forward to reading the reviews from first users of that Wifi 6E hardware in the near future when it's finally released.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!