What's new

wifi 6E Max PHY rate question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

skates15

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I have an Asus AXE11000 router and only one ax client, my PC. When I run wifi insight from the router, I see that my max PHY rate is 54 and I don't know if that is normal or not? The Max PHY rate for 5G is 1733 and for 2.4 it is 385. It seems odd that the 6E band would be so low, or maybe not, what do I know.

To confuse things further, the router reports the 6E Tx (Mbps) rate is anywhere from 1300 to 1900 while Rx is 800 to 1100 Mbps. The SNR is 93.

I suspect the WiFi Insight from the router is buggy for 6E?

I'm the only 6E client in my neighborhood, just one.

Any insights would be helpful.

Hello, I have an Asus AXE11000 router and only one ax client, my PC. When I run wifi insight from the router, I see that my max PHY rate is 54 and I don't know if that is normal or not? The Max PHY rate for 5G is 1733 and for 2.4 it is 385. It seems odd that the 6E band would be so low, or maybe not, what do I know.

To confuse things further, the router reports the 6E Tx (Mbps) rate is anywhere from 1300 to 1900 while Rx is 800 to 1100 Mbps. The SNR is 93.

Also, in the router, I set the bandwidth for the 6E to be 160MHz only/AX Only.

6/6E will give you about 1.3gbps on a standard client w/ a 2x2 antenna setup.

No adapters that I'm aware of for 6/6E have more antenna options at this time. When they do come to market though speeds can be bumped using the appropriate devices on both sides to boost to the max of 2400mbps w/ a port on the AP side of 2.5GE.

For instance my phone does a link rate of 1200mbps (1x1) and my AX210 laptop card LR's at 2400mbps (2x2) but the actual throughput while moving files is 1.3gbps. So, in theory a 3x3 client should yield a LR of 3600mbps / 4x4 4800mbps.

As things move forward with innovation +/or WIFI 7 (coming soon) the speeds will pick up as WIFI 7 offers 320mhz channels :)

1656177699925.png

What does your PC WiFi connection properties report... something like this:

1656185412203.png

And what does the router Wireless Log report for the same connection... something like this:

1656185540416.png

NSS means number of client spacial streams.

OE

Your SW tool (WiFi Insight) might be old and not recognize the PHY rates...

InSSIDer, in older versions, does the same - it's calling an older Win32 API...

You can get the actual PHY rates from the connection itself, it should reflect what the connected rate is.

You can also use the cmd prompt and type "netsh wlan show all" - this should also indicate the connected rate for any modern version of Windows

Your SW tool (WiFi Insight) might be old and not recognize the PHY rates...

InSSIDer, in older versions, does the same - it's calling an older Win32 API...

You can get the actual PHY rates from the connection itself, it should reflect what the connected rate is.

You can also use the cmd prompt and type "netsh wlan show all" - this should also indicate the connected rate for any modern version of Windows
When I run netsh wlan show all, the results are:
Band : 6 GHz
Channel : 37
Receive rate (Mbps) : 2042
Transmit rate (Mbps) : 865
Signal : 83%

The link speed as per the status of the PC wifi connection is 1.2 Gbps.

The Asus Rog GT AX11000 router log for 6G:
RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC MUBF NSS BW Tx rate Rx rate
-66dBm ax No No No No 2 160M 864.7M 720.6M

I think this is an antenna issue or the mobo built in wifi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!