What's new

Wifi , an education .

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Excellent article!

Almost everything you need to know about WiFi is it is time-shared, half-duplex, and is affected even by non-WiFi interference sources (and affected, whether we know about them or not). The other major important thing to note is that it is what the router 'sees' that it adjusts its radios to. Not what some handheld client device 'sees' (regardless of the app used).

For wiring a home/office space, a minimum of 4 runs per location are suggested today. Yes, hardly anyone listens to that advice. Living space (and equipment locations) are not fixed, indefinitely. The way space is utilized (and where the equipment needs to be) is constantly evolving in most homes. Running a few extra wires today will be priceless in the not-so-distant future.

This is the link I have posted multiple times as an answer to questions "why I'm not getting Gigabit over Wi-Fi" or "why is my 2.4GHz band so slow".

I tip my hat to the author of that paper. Why have I not seen it before?
Though I'll have to read it a few more times for it to stick. Bookmarked.

*edit*

1 vote for a sticky ;)

Last edited:
another +1
Unfortunately, "stickies" and FAQs don't work.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!