What's new

WiFi and Wired Device connection issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kaputpug

Occasional Visitor
I recently upgraded from the RT-AC5300 to the GT-AX11000 and since then I've had 3 wireless devices and one wired device that have connection issues. I had no issues previously on the RT-AC5300.

The 3 wireless devices I can manage to get connected after a few reboots or power cycles. It's been the same since I got the new GT-AX11000. They do eventually connect but it's always an issue.

The wired device is the real problem. I managed to get it connected a few times but it's similar to the above devices. However, I do have another router here (same firmware running as a mesh node) and as soon as I plugged it into that router it connected right away. So I figured ok I'll leave it connected to this router. I unplugged it to tidy up that cables and plugged them back in and it never connected again. Same issue as the GT-AX11000. When I first connected it to that router it did the same.

One other issue I noticed with this router is that each day I wake up I check the wired devices via Clients under Network Map and there are two devices there that are not actually connected to my router and they disappear within a few seconds. I did manage to grab a screenshot of these mac addresses and IPs. No idea why they're showing up there.

Does anyone have any idea as to what is happening here with a possible solution or at least some troubleshooting steps to help find the issue? I'm expecting replies telling me this router has nothing but issues. I've seen a few online already. Hopefully, someone is able to assist.

Can you expand on "connection issues"? Physical link? Not getting assigned an IP address? No internet access?

What firmware version?
Have you tried without mesh?
Have you tried a factory default reset and manual configuration?

Can you expand on "connection issues"? Physical link? Not getting assigned an IP address? No internet access?

What firmware version?
Have you tried without mesh?
Have you tried a factory default reset and manual configuration?
Thanks for your reply

What I mean by connection issues is the device is not obtaining an IP at all. It's as if these devices are not even connected to the router.

3 wireless devices - 1 Wemo light switch and 2 Wemo plugs. I have like another 6 more lights that work just fine. These will connect after multiple reboots/power cycles

1 wired device - An alarm system hub. This one will connect if you plug it into a router for the first time. After that, it will not connect again.

Firmware - Asus Merlin 386.4

Yes, I tried without mesh as I had the GT-AX11000 while I waited for the RT-AX86U to arrive. I have like 50 devices connected to this router and nothing else has issues except the 3 wireless devices and the 1 hardwired. I had no issues with the RT-AC5300

Yes, I started with factory default settings and did the configuration. The devices are also added the devices to the "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list"

Do you have "smart connect" active? I had it active in the past and a lot of smart devices had troubles getting or keeping connected.
Now since I turned it off, no more issues

No idea if this applies to your situation. My AC68U used to drop my Trendnet IP cams (2.4GHz 802.1n) randomly until I disable beamforming.

Do you have "smart connect" active? I had it active in the past and a lot of smart devices had troubles getting or keeping connected.
Now since I turned it off, no more issues
Thanks for your reply. I do not have smart connect enabled for either band.

No idea if this applies to your situation. My AC68U used to drop my Trendnet IP cams (2.4GHz 802.1n) randomly until I disable beamforming.
Thanks for your reply. I will give this a test to see if it helps with the wireless devices. However, i am not getting disconnects after the devices are connected.

What's the DHCP pool configuration? A friend of mine had similar issues - turned out he'd maxed out the DHCP pool on the router. Once that was amended no more issues.

I'd suggest checking /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases to get an accurate view of IP allocation rather than relying on network map. That will have all allocated IPs so you can break it down if you are running multiple DHCP pools (guest wireless networks for example).

What's the DHCP pool configuration? A friend of mine had similar issues - turned out he'd maxed out the DHCP pool on the router. Once that was amended no more issues.

I'd suggest checking /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases to get an accurate view of IP allocation rather than relying on network map. That will have all allocated IPs so you can break it down if you are running multiple DHCP pools (guest wireless networks for example).
DHCP Pool is 192.168.50.10 - 192.168.50.254. Should be no issue there

Thanks for letting me know about /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases. I can see all devices from here but the wired device I'm having issues with is not shown.

Last edited:
I recently upgraded from the RT-AC5300 to the GT-AX11000 and since then I've had 3 wireless devices and one wired device that have connection issues. I had no issues previously on the RT-AC5300.

The 3 wireless devices I can manage to get connected after a few reboots or power cycles. It's been the same since I got the new GT-AX11000. They do eventually connect but it's always an issue.

The wired device is the real problem. I managed to get it connected a few times but it's similar to the above devices. However, I do have another router here (same firmware running as a mesh node) and as soon as I plugged it into that router it connected right away. So I figured ok I'll leave it connected to this router. I unplugged it to tidy up that cables and plugged them back in and it never connected again. Same issue as the GT-AX11000. When I first connected it to that router it did the same.

One other issue I noticed with this router is that each day I wake up I check the wired devices via Clients under Network Map and there are two devices there that are not actually connected to my router and they disappear within a few seconds. I did manage to grab a screenshot of these mac addresses and IPs. No idea why they're showing up there.

Does anyone have any idea as to what is happening here with a possible solution or at least some troubleshooting steps to help find the issue? I'm expecting replies telling me this router has nothing but issues. I've seen a few online already. Hopefully, someone is able to assist.
For wired, make sure FAST Leave is disabled, under IPTV and make sure that Jumbo Frames is disabled unless you have ALL wired devices that support it.

Check firewall under system logs and make sure the device your haveing issues with isn’t being blocked for some reason.

Spanning Tree Protocol will help if you have any wired loop issues so enable, but note it might reduce speeds on LAN.

For wired, make sure FAST Leave is disabled, under IPTV and make sure that Jumbo Frames is disabled unless you have ALL wired devices that support it.

Check firewall under system logs and make sure the device your haveing issues with isn’t being blocked for some reason.

Spanning Tree Protocol will help if you have any wired loop issues so enable, but note it might reduce speeds on LAN.
Thanks for the reply!

I cannot find the 'Fast Leave' setting you mentioned. Don't see it under LAN > IPTV. Jumbo frames was disabled by default

I didn't see 'firewall' under system logs either

Spanning Tree Protocol was enabled by default.

Thanks for the reply!

I cannot find the 'Fast Leave' setting you mentioned. Don't see it under LAN > IPTV. Jumbo frames was disabled by default

I didn't see 'firewall' under system logs either

Spanning Tree Protocol was enabled by default.
7EC886A7-7F42-4881-9E3E-58718EC88FE8.jpeg

That’s good if you don’t see it then likely it’s not enabled lol.

So under the system logs it’ll likely say something like Blocked
05563777-6A86-4A58-A4BF-5E59A5AC6E73.jpeg

AD3FF9ED-1397-4A5D-B3BD-081AF4F1D722.jpeg
The other thing I’d suggest would be check the cable speeds on the router on the effected wired device. Make sure the cables are snug in, and make sure all pins on the cable are good try a different cable to verify. If it says 100MB and the device and cable support 1Gbe then it could be that not all pins are detected on the cable.

View attachment 38696
That’s good if you don’t see it then likely it’s not enabled lol.

So under the system logs it’ll likely say something like Blocked View attachment 38697

I grabbed a copy of the general log and pasted it into a txt doc and searched for blocked and found nothing. Below are my settings. A bit different than yours.

Attachments

• ScreenShot005.jpg
    ScreenShot005.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 98
  • ScreenShot006.jpg
    ScreenShot006.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 93
Also for wireless make sure if the devices support it private address (Mac) or randomize MAC address is not enabled on any device. This will change the MAC address each time the router or device reboots it also makes static ip’s impossible.

View attachment 38698The other thing I’d suggest would be check the cable speeds on the router on the effected wired device. Make sure the cables are snug in, and make sure all pins on the cable are good try a different cable to verify. If it says 100MB and the device and cable support 1Gbe then it could be that not all pins are detected on the cable.
Thanks for this but I have already tried a new cable and all devices are 1Gbps. I did have it plugged into a switch at first though so I will plug it directly into my router again and check this.

Ahh yeah I meant to say general log not system log but you’d find firewall stuff in the general log if it gets flagged. If not then it won’t appear.

Ahh yeah I meant to say general log not system log but you’d find firewall stuff in the general log if it gets flagged. If not then it won’t appear.
Ok...so i plugged the wired device i'm having issues with directly into my router. It displays 100Mbps but it does not obtain an IP. The device is set to obtain automatically. Its not static. When i unplug it's displayed as unplugged via the routers gui.

Ok...so i plugged the wired device i'm having issues with directly into my router. It displays 100Mbps but it does not obtain an IP. The device is set to obtain automatically. Its not static. When i unplug it's displayed as unplugged via the routers gui.
Hm.. okay well that means it’s making a connection do you have a log of what’s happening when you plug and unplug it from your general log.